Author Topic: A-Z bar doesn't work  (Read 3825 times)

SonicRings

I'm having some trouble getting the A-Z bar to work. I saw a thread here (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28567.0) mentioning that you first need to set your sorting options. Is it referring to this?

If so, it's already set, yet #-D just takes me to the top of my albums

and E-Z takes me to the bottom.

What am I missing here?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What is your library actually sorted by?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

SonicRings

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The A-Z jumpbar looks at the first letters in the sort field, so it's not going to work well with path because all paths will probably start with the same letters (drive letter, folder name, etc).

If you sort by Artist, Album Artist, Album, etc, it should work fine.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

SonicRings

The A-Z jumpbar looks at the first letters in the sort field, so it's not going to work well with path because all paths will probably start with the same letters (drive letter, folder name, etc).

If you sort by Artist, Album Artist, Album, etc, it should work fine.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense! My music's on my D drive, so that explains why anything after D just goes to the end. Sadly it's useless to me then as my library does not sort the way I want it to when I sort using tags. I have to sort by path. Bummer! Is there no way it can have some sort of filter so it doesn't get the drive letter? Since the path to the music library itself is a constant, can the A-Z bar look for the n'th character in the path (which would be the first letter of the album's folder) instead of the 1st letter of the path?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You could create a virtual tag for sorting. There are instructions for that around, probably in Tips & Tricks
Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:03:02 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

SonicRings

You could create a virtual tag for sorting. There are instructions for that around, be probably in Tips & Tricks
I'm not willing to edit my audio files unfortunately. Many things I need to match a hash check.

This seems like an oversight in MusicBee rather than an issue with tags. The program already knows the path to the library as that is set, so I imagine it would be trivial to modify the way it treats items sorted by path by just removing the library path from the album path, which would leave you with the album's unique path.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm not willing to edit my audio files unfortunately.

A virtual tag doesn't change your file. That's why it's virtual.

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Virtual_Tags
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

SonicRings

Ah, thank you for explaining it to me! I will give this a shot next time I'm on. (~˘▾˘)~

SonicRings

Thanks again for the suggestion. I've read the wiki page, but without examples, I'm unclear on whether or not I'm doing this right. Can you please assist me with this?

I've tried this but it didn't seem to make any difference. Am I meant to input something in the top row as well?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You don't need to put anything in the top. You probably want to give your virtual tag a meaningful name, though.

This post should point you in the right direction: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9317.msg67186#msg67186

Redwing's formula should work, with adjustments for your situation, but you could also try something like this:

Sortable Path = $Replace(<Path>,"{Root Path}","")

That should strip the root path, leaving only the meaningful portion.

I'm curious what your sort order is, though, that you have to rely on path to get it correct. It looks close to Album Artist\Album.
Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 03:06:35 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

SonicRings

You don't need to put anything in the top. You probably want to give your virtual tag a meaningful name, though.

This post should point you in the right direction: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9317.msg67186#msg67186

Redwing's formula should work, with adjustments for your situation, but you could also try something like this:

Sortable Path = $Replace(<Path>,"{Root Path}","")

That should strip the root path, leaving only the meaningful portion.

I'm curious what your sort order is, though, that you have to rely on path to get it correct. It looks close to Album Artist\Album.
Thanks, I've tried both your suggestion and the one posted in the url you sent but they both contain errors.

I've tried without the <> surrounding the word Path, and although that doesn't throw an error, it still doesn't actually work. I've also tried removing the "Sortable Path = " and "Folder = " from the formulae, but no luck. What am I doing wrong here?

As for the sort order, I usually sort by album artist, but for some VGM as well as my Monstercat folder I just have the album name.
Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:08:09 PM by SonicRings

The Incredible Boom Boom

Thanks, I've tried both your suggestion and the one posted in the url you sent but they both contain errors.
I've tried without the <> surrounding the word Path, and although that doesn't throw an error, it still doesn't actually work. I've also tried removing the "Sortable Path = " and "Folder = " from the formulae, but no luck. What am I doing wrong here?

As for the sort order, I usually sort by album artist, but for some VGM as well as my Monstercat folder I just have the album name.

"Sortable Path" and "Folder" should replace "Path Sort" and "Path Sort 2" in the label column.

[Mod: edited for length]
Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 07:36:47 PM by psychoadept

SonicRings

"Sortable Path" and "Folder" should replace "Path Sort" and "Path Sort 2" in the label column.

[Mod: edited for length]
I did this and it's still not working. Am I meant to change something now that I've set this?

I know I only need one, but I used both for the sake of seeing if it actually works.

hiccup

I did this and it's still not working.

Does this work? :

$Split($Replace(<Path>,"K:\EVERYTHING\[FLAC]",),\,2)