Author Topic: Switch Off Duplicate Hiding  (Read 1898 times)

PierreUsagi

Hi,

I've just downloaded and started adding my music library but I've noticed that some of the tracks are missing in my albums. I found a post about duplicates and hiding them but that's not really what I want. It seems to think that all tracks with the same artist and title are the same thing, even if they are on different albums or a studio and live version.

For completeness sake, I would like to keep all tracks displayed in all albums and not have some missing. I have plenty of disc space so saving a few MB is not an issue for me. It's annoying to see one of My David Bowie albums listed as having one track because the rest appear in various live, greatest hits and collection albums.

Is there an option to show everything, even if it's on another album somewhere else?

TIA,

Pierre

frankz

Hi,

I've just downloaded and started adding my music library but I've noticed that some of the tracks are missing in my albums. I found a post about duplicates and hiding them but that's not really what I want. It seems to think that all tracks with the same artist and title are the same thing, even if they are on different albums or a studio and live version.

For completeness sake, I would like to keep all tracks displayed in all albums and not have some missing. I have plenty of disc space so saving a few MB is not an issue for me. It's annoying to see one of My David Bowie albums listed as having one track because the rest appear in various live, greatest hits and collection albums.

Is there an option to show everything, even if it's on another album somewhere else?

TIA,

Pierre
I don't think duplicates are hidden unless you chose to have them hidden during import. I've got plenty of songs that register as duplicates and they're fully visible.  There's an option to "Mark and Send Duplicates to the Inbox" when you import tracks.  Did you check that option? Have you checked the inbox

You can choose which fields the duplicate manager looks at under Tools->Manage Duplicates at the top of the dialog.  It appears that every single tag is available for consideration.

But I never do anything with my duplicates and they're all in my library untouched.

PierreUsagi

Thanks for the pointers.

To add my music, I do it album by album - having been bitten by things going astray with a global import in the past. I do File-> Add Files to Library and then select all of the files in the album directory. Often, I have to re-group them but there is no box anywhere in this method that allows me to hide or allow duplicates on import.

I've checked the inbox and there is nothing in there.

In the Manage Duplicates Window, I have options to: "Hide Duplicates", "delete", "replace with reference to the kept file", and "save to playlist".

I've tried selecting all of the options in the "selected tags" but when I close the Manage Duplicates window, it just resets them to "artist" and "title".

I'm happy to accept that it's something I'm doing wrong but I can't see what that might be.

Steven

• Administrator
How do you know they are being marked as duplicates. It sounds like you are assuming that.
For one of the files that is missing, what happens when you drag it from windows explorer into the musicbee library?

PierreUsagi

Hi,

I have a lot of duplicates listed in the Duplicate Manager Window. I think this should be a screenshot: https://imgur.com/Q2zpImr so you can see what I'm seeing.

I tried dragging several of the missing files from Windows File Explorer to the library and the cursor shows a 'no-entry' sign and it won't let me drop the new files.

Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator
If you get the no entry sign then that likely means the files are already in the music library. If you switch to tracks view and display the url field, then sort by url, you can find the file in the library