Author Topic: Making a duplicate library from lossless to mp3  (Read 809 times)

Retseldrib

Dear all

I have an apple lossless library that I’m using with musicbee (since yesterday - very pleased indeed) and want to create a duplicate library so that i can fit it on my iphone.

You can do this in iTunes BUT you end up with two tracks - one lossles and the other mp3 - in one album folder making it impossible to synch to phone without having lossless and mp3 tracks together hence defeating the purpose.

In summary, can I do this in musicbee with but end up with a discrete mp3 version of an artist/ album?

Thanks in advance for any help.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm a little confused by your statements. First you say you want to create a duplicate library, but later you say you want to wind up with a discrete version.

"Duplicate" implies copying from one to the other - resulting in two versions.
"Discrete" implies converting from one to the other - resulting in one version.

MB can do either, but it would be helpful to know which you really want to do.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

MB can convert on-the-fly as you're transferring the files to the phone. You set it up in the device settings.  That way the lossless files stay on your computer where you want to use them and the lossy files wind up only on the phone where you want to use them.  That's probably the most efficient way.  That way the lossy files don't clog up your MB library.

phred

• Global Moderator
Good point frankz. Having only an MP3 collection, I sometimes forget about converting on the fly when syncing.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Retseldrib

Thank you for the replies and apologies for the confusion.

I am using the word discrete to mean separate, distinct, and individual from the lossless version.

So I want a complete mp3 version of my lossless library but still retain the lossless version. I would end up with a two versions of the same album sitting alongside each other - eg.  ‘Elvis’ 40 Greatest Hits’ (lossless) And ‘Elvis’ 40 Greatest Hits’ (mp3 version). That way I could just synch the mp3 version to my phone.

In iTunes you can create an mp3 version BUT it locates the song inside the same album folder so when the phone is synched with iTunes you end up with both a lossless and mp3 copy of the same song thus defeating the purpose of trying to save room on the phone.

Hope that makes sense.

phred

• Global Moderator
Did you read frankz's reply? A simple and elegant solution that doesn't tie up extra space on your PC with two sets of files for each track.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Retseldrib

Not properly !!! - I will try this with my iphone later today. Thankyou Frankz

phred

• Global Moderator
Have you been able to sync MB and your iphone? I ask because iphone/idevice syncing is not supported. You can check the Tips & Tricks section for some work-arounds, but they were posted (and worked) for earlier versions of IOS.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki