Author Topic: Newbie Forum Question: Replying "Thanks"?  (Read 1855 times)

TiTheFungi

Hey guys. Newwwwwwbie here. I've only posted a few times, but I wonder if a few "Heroes" could answer me a simple, maybe even trivial question..

When Steven, or any veteran member of MB, reply to a post I made, leaving info that completely satisfies my question/request, is it proper to reply a thank you, or a small reply of conclusion/satisfaction? I'm not sure if you moderators would prefer we not reply unless there is a further issue with the topic at-hand.

I tend to be quite Maybe I'm overthinking it. I just want to know what the standard is. Any input? Thanks.
"It's not about winning or losing the game. It's about playing the game and being fun to play with."
-Jordan Peterson

hiccup

Speaking for myself, I consider it common decency to respond when somebody else made an effort to help.
Even if the answer is unsatisfying, somebody made an effort to help.
Personally, it indeed irritates me when a user seems to take help for granted and doesn't respond after his question was answered.

But it's a good point. I know of some other forums that don't even (technically) allow posting a brief reply such as 'thank you'.
It seems they consider that as unproductive and space-consuming. I strongly disagree.
It's still humans behind the keyboards. (for the time being...)

Act as you would in the real world I would say.

So thank you for joining the forum ;-)

TiTheFungi

Thanks, hiccup. We are all human for sure, not chat bots. I'm grateful for everyone's input and participation on here, and I just wanna spread my admiration for that!

Cheers.
"It's not about winning or losing the game. It's about playing the game and being fun to play with."
-Jordan Peterson

hiccup

We are all human for sure, not chat bots.

I wish that was true!
Bots (spambots) happens to be a sometimes hard to tackle/recognise issue these days, and I am afraid it will become an increasing problem which will become more and more difficult to defend us against.

TiTheFungi

Oof yeah, you're right. Amazon reviews are getting more and more skeptical for me now. When I see a product with 4+ stars, and go to look at reviews, many of them are 5 or less words, with some of them not having very good spelling/grammar... Not to mention all the auto-generated garbage on Facebook nowadays, manipulating gullible people, usually people of older age that aren't as cautious about the content they read and click on when online.

But, this forum seems so far like a pretty honest and clean one from what I'm gathering, and I like it!
-Jordan Peterson

hiccup

But, this forum seems so far like a pretty honest and clean one from what I'm gathering, and I like it!

Your sig mentioning Jordan Peterson made me believe you are not a bot.
But a bot is probably reading this right now and will help him in learning how to create human-like sigs.

TiTheFungi

Lol, well I got that quote from when he was on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast and rI eally liked it. I guess a bot could have transcribed the full podcast and pulled that quote itself? Hmm.
-Jordan Peterson