Author Topic: Genre and displayed ID3tag info  (Read 849 times)

Venom

So I have some music files that if I changed the Genre to say "Singles" in another program which is set to save as ID3v2.3 UTF-16 it saves that name and will display that name as the Genre in other programs; but when I pull the same music file up in MusicBee the Genre is something else such as "Alt/Punk". I know this probably has to do with which ID3 tag is being used in MusicBee, and in this example the file is a wma, for the Genre column or some other default setting in MusicBee but I cannot figure out how to force MusicBee to use and display the ID3v2.3 UTF-16 as the tag info it should be using. I can edit the music files from within MusicBee and change the Genre to Singles but I have a lot of files that I already named using another program and do not want to have to do the work all over again. Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator
can you PM me a link to one of the problem files that hasnt been edited

Venom

I'm sorry to have wasted your time but I think I figured out the issue. For some reason even though I had completely removed all the songs from my library (delete but not delete the original files) and then had the program scan them back into the library (after I had saved the tags in another program) I guess MusicBee somehow still had the old ID3 tag info (like a ghost image or something). After doing some searching on ways to fix things related to this I read that you can selected a song or group of songs and right click send to\ file rescan and after I did this MusicBee updated the genre to the one I had saved it to in the other program (which was the current genre and most recent change). Perhaps my post will help someone else that might experience this issue. Thanks again.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, if you change tags outside of MusicBee it's always a good idea to rescan, especially if they're not in a monitored folder.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Venom

Yeah I thought the re-scan would be part of pulling the music back into MusicBee since I had completely deleted them in the first place before changing info in another program. I deleted them from the library, closed out MusicBee, changed them in the other program, restarted MusicBee and then re-scanned them back into MusicBee and had not changed the info again outside of MusicBee. Some of the files still had the old genre listed. But at least I figured out how to get them to update again from within the program.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you remove tracks completely, running the "compress library" command in the tools menu should purge the stored info, so when you put them back they'll be scanned in again from scratch.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)