Author Topic: Streaming from DLNA Server  (Read 7039 times)

Macflar

Hi
I was not expecting the thread would take that path ... :-)
@ Vincent
My NAS (file sharing) is user/pass protected in and out of my local network, I understand UPnP may not be safer than an unprotected folder share, at least its only local, anyway guiding the discussion into network security was not my intention :-) thanks for your advises :-)

I managed to access my shared music folder in MB, I only had to put the networks address of the folder in the Folder box instead of waiting for the server name to appear.
I'm please to see how it handles the folders, kind of quick tag scan per folder, MB could play well but going from a folder to another is not smooth, even with a good WiFi (if that's a parameter) and trying to play folder than have not been scanned is troublesome. that could be a good way for occasional listening, but it' not the same an indexed database of course.

Bringing Hifi Cast for android in the discussion is interesting because it illustrate my point, I actually use it everyday because it looks good, it's fast, it understands well my Asset server (much better than the synology DLNA server btw) and work well with my CXNv1 ... so you see where I'm going, I wish MB on top being amazing with local files,  could be as good as Hifi Cast for browsing a DLNA server but on my windows laptop, using my portable DAC, through the VST plugin, etc...

sorry guys but I'm not going to talk about VPN right now :-)
Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:49:39 PM by Macflar

Macflar

I realize now, that a shared folder is accepted in MB, that it became available to load in a library, so ok it double the database but it may be a solution to my questions.

Mauser69

My entire music library is on a shared NAS server, and MB works flawlessly with it from multiple computers.  I can identify the library files either by NASname and file path, or simply by mapping a network drive letter - I have found the latter to be the easiest, and all of my computers have a mapped T:\music drive which MB scans on each startup.  This same NAS also has its own native DLNA server for use with HiFi Cast, my TV, and other devices.

I also have one computer that maintains its own full version of all the library files (not sharing the NAS), and there is absolutely no difference in any performance or functionality for MB on any of my computers.
Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:43:03 PM by Mauser69