Author Topic: Streaming from DLNA Server  (Read 7040 times)

CarloCor

Hi all,

i'm using MusicBee as my favourite player on windows (i love it).

Is it possible to use MB streaming from a DLNA Server (with Serviio)?

Thanks for your support...  :)

Carlo.

frankz

No.  MusicBee can be a server (through a plug-in) but it cannot be a renderer of external streams.

CarloCor

No.  MusicBee can be a server (through a plug-in) but it cannot be a renderer of external streams.

Do you know if this feature was totally rejected or it's in project/wishlist?
Thanks.

frankz

As the plugin that does the serving is not even supported any more, I'd guess that seeing additional DLNA features is not in the cards. 

Macflar

Hi There, sorry for digging :-)
I admit I would also like to use this functionality, I carry my laptop around the house to work (you know, work from home with family around etc...) and would like to benefit from my DLNA server through MB interface and DAC management on the laptop. I can't carry my whole collection around, nor like to use the little interface of a phone.

Btw, I know I could add a network share in BM but it does not work for some reason, my server name shows up but none of the drives drops down, maybe it's because its user and pass protected ? well DLNA server function was a safe easy way to share music on the network  without compromising server access security. hence the question above.

thanks for the help :-)

vincent kars

In the past I used Musicbee with the audio files on a NAS (file sharing).
Today I use a external USB HD plugged into my router.
If you do think a share a risk, UPnP with its unattended automatic device detection is a risk too.
Don’t do this over the internet.
Personally I don’t consider a share a risk.
IMHO you need it anyway to store and maintain your audio files on a NAS.
Anyway, assuming a NAS is a Linux box:

1.   Make users. These are local users only known to the NAS.
Even if the username on the NAS is identical to the username on your PC, it remains a local Linux user and Windows simply won’t recognize it.
2.   Make shares. These are the folders you are going to access (to share) over the network.
3.   Add users to the shares and specify their rights.
4.   You probably have to activate network services (SMB) on the NAS as well.
5.   On your PC connect to a share using the credentials of one of the NAS user’s you have created. Windows allows you to connect to multiple shares on a NAS but with one user only.

Success

Mauser69

Although I too would like to be able to use MB on all devices, I have found ways to live with the limitations.  I keep my library on a NAS server with built-in DLNA.  When using my computers, I interface only through MB, but when I want to stream from the DLNA server on my portable devices, I use the Hi-Fi Cast app.

phred

• Global Moderator
I keep my library on a NAS server with built-in DLNA.  When using my computers, I interface only through MB, but when I want to stream from the DLNA server on my portable devices, I use the Hi-Fi Cast app.
I just downloaded Hi-Fi Cast and while I haven't actually used it yet, it -looks- pretty good. My deal-breaking question is (and I supposed this pertains to DLNA in general) can this only be used on the local network? IOW, if I travel, can I connect to Hi-Fi Cast and/or DLNA via the internet and with port forwarding on my router?

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

I believe HiFi Cast does only work on a local network (based on my recollection of using it when I tried to do what you're trying to do).

EDIT BEFORE POST: Looking at hifi cast now, it does have a setting called "Use VPN Interface," which wouldn't make much sense if it was only to be used on a local network. 

I remember foobar for android being quite capable for doing what you're trying to do.

phred

• Global Moderator
Looking at hifi cast now, it does have a setting called "Use VPN Interface," which wouldn't make much sense if it was only to be used on a local network.  
Thanks Mr. Z.
I now have 'use VPN interface' enabled and am about to step outside to remove myself from my LAN. But I see no way in Hi-Fi Cast to enter my IP address. Once I can do that, I can set up my router to port forward to the NAS and I should have my replacement for SubSonic. The only reason I'd like to keep SS is that I can set up other users to listen to my library. But at this point, I'd be happy to to have my own music with me where ever I go.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

I think you would need to install a VPN on your phone (do they come with a built-in VPN? I don't know) and use the VPN to connect to your home network, and then use the VPN interface in HiFi Cast.  I've never done that let alone try to use that program while doing it, but I think that's the general procedure. You wouldn't need to enter an IP because it would use the VPN interface which is already connected.

phred

• Global Moderator
I think you would need to install a VPN on your phone
Oh, of course. DUH! Here I am thinking I've enabled 'use vpn' in Hi-Fi and wondering how it's going to use vpn when I'm not using one. <sigh>

Found the dev's "forum" which is a Google Groups page and am slowly making progress.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
Hmmm ... this is getting a little more complicated (convoluted?) than I had planned on.

Not only do I need a VPN on the Android device, I also need a VPN server. Which I've figure out how to install on my Win10 PC, but since it's not working as expected, I'm now thinking the server needs to live on the NAS. Which can't be done as I can't install applications on my Buffalo TeraStation.

I need to do some more research, but my head is aching and my boss is calling. Pushing this aside for a rainy day.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

On the rainy day, you may want to check whether your router has VPN server capabilities.  I did a quick search and it seems some do and some don't.

phred

• Global Moderator
On the rainy day, you may want to check whether your router has VPN server capabilities.  I did a quick search and it seems some do and some don't.
It's a sunny day here, but it was worth a check. Nowhere in my router's manual (or settings) does "VPN" appear. So I'm SOL and back to waiting for a rainy day.

But I appreciate the attempt to help.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki