Author Topic: Can't use ALR derived virtual tags for sorting/grouping  (Read 1759 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Don't know if this is a bug or limitation in MB or boroda's tools plugin.

Any virtual tag created using a formula that contains an $ALR function cannot be used for sorting and/or grouping.

It has to be saved to a custom tag and then that tag used for sorting/grouping purposes.

Refer to this thread: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=31144.0
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
The ALR functions are not treated any differently whether used for display or for sorting and I dont think the plugin function would know what context it is being called from. I dont have any solid suggestions as to what the cause might be

Bee-liever

I know that there's a delay to display the ALR based tags when MB first starts.  I assume that means the tag values are not cached/saved anwhere when MB closes and you have to wait for the values to be repopulated.
Could this delay cause a problem when the value is called for sorting/grouping?

Steven

• Administrator
I know that there's a delay to display the ALR based tags when MB first starts.  I assume that means the tag values are not cached/saved anwhere when MB closes and you have to wait for the values to be repopulated.
Could this delay cause a problem when the value is called for sorting/grouping?
Yes, you are spot on with that. If the initial tab when starting up sorts with a virtual tag using the function in question then it wont sort correctly.
With v3.4 you can use the inbuilt $Sum() function which wont have that problem. However there is no $Div function

Bee-liever

OK.  I will advise the user in the other post to save the value to a custom tag.
Thank you, Steven.