Author Topic: Clipboard  (Read 1987 times)

Smudger

Morning All

I am fully aware that to edit what you send to the clipboard depends on your input to preferences\tags(2)

<Track#>. <Album> - <Title>

however when I copy this to excel, the results are exported into one column, is there a way please to send to clipboard that the results can be copied into excel into their own columns

thanks

Steve

hiccup

This is more an Excel thing than a MusicBee thing, so I would suggest you use Excel's 'Text to Columns' feature for this.

If you really want to do this at the clipboard level, you could add tabs in between the fields, then they will be placed in different columns in Excel.

Like this:
<Tr.#>   <Album>   <Title>

But I am pretty sure it is a bad idea to use tabs within MusicBee fields.

Smudger

thank you hiccup I will give it a try

frankz

I usually paste it to notepad, save as csv, and then excel knows what to do with it when you open it.

PS - I've found that, because commas are common in song and album titles, it's best to use a different delimiter for your csv.

phred

• Global Moderator
I usually paste it to notepad, save as csv, and then excel knows what to do with it when you open it.

PS - I've found that, because commas are common in song and album titles, it's best to use a different delimiter for your csv.
This would be the a correct way to get clipboard data to a spreadsheet.

I would also suggest you take a look at the Additional Tagging and Reporting Tools plugin by boroda. A good selection of reports in various formats. Further questions about this plugin should be placed in the plugin's thread and not here.
Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:02:10 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

This would be the correct way to get clipboard data to a spreadsheet.

It is a correct way.
If you setup the clipboard to use a specific delimiter between the fields (but not tabs, and as Frankz said, better not comma's, but e.g. something like the @ sign), you can simply paste it directly into Excel and then run it's 'Text to Column' feature.
It takes less steps, and it doesn't need saving and opening csv's as inbetween steps.

phred

• Global Moderator
This would be the correct way to get clipboard data to a spreadsheet.

It is a correct way.
If you setup the clipboard
Yes, that.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Just in case somebody stumbles upon this thread and wonders how this 'Text to Columns' would work exactly:

Setup MusicBee's 'send to clipboard' (Preferences > Tags (2) ) to use a delimiter such as: @

That could look something like:
<Album Artist>@<Album>@<Artist>@<Tr.#>@<Title>

Then after sending tracks to the clipboard, paste them into a new Excel sheet,

- select the first column
- click 'Data' > Text to Columns
- click 'delimited', 'Next'
- behind 'Other', enter a @
- click 'Finish'

done