Author Topic: feat. tags  (Read 5831 times)

urfausto

amazing! would it also work if the featuring tag is inside the artist field?
Perhaps. As I indicated there are four presets for working with featured artists. I found the one that worked for me and didn't try any otners. You can experiment with the other presets to see if they work the way you want. But make backups first and only test on a couple. If none of them work, I suggest you post a question in the plugin's thread so boroda can see it and respond.
very good, thanks.

Zak

• Global Moderator
My argument against an Artist tag being something like DJ Cool Dude featuring Pitbull is that they then get their own entry anywhere MusicBee* displays a list of Artists - e.g. the Column Browser. Which means you end up with 100s or 1000s of artist entries that only have one or two tracks. Using that tag for the main artist only keeps that list as tidy as possible.

* The same applies to any other music playing program too. e.g. Copy a track to your phone for mobile listening and you'll have to spend more time scrolling to browse tracks by artist. Which, if you're walking in a busy area, could result in you being run over by a bus or a truck. So it's really a health and safety issue too.  ;D
Bee excellent to each other...

urfausto

My argument against an Artist tag being something like DJ Cool Dude featuring Pitbull is that they then get their own entry anywhere MusicBee* displays a list of Artists - e.g. the Column Browser. Which means you end up with 100s or 1000s of artist entries that only have one or two tracks. Using that tag for the main artist only keeps that list as tidy as possible.

* The same applies to any other music playing program too. e.g. Copy a track to your phone for mobile listening and you'll have to spend more time scrolling to browse tracks by artist. Which, if you're walking in a busy area, could result in you being run over by a bus or a truck. So it's really a health and safety issue too.  ;D
for mp3s i really don't care because i want to browse them by folder and also use folders by genres and have a lot of single mp3.
for my library instead i would like to have everything consistent because i have mostly albums only.
eventually there are also cases like in hiphop of 2 artists collaboration (not a feat.) on the same tack but you can easily separate them and have it showing separately in artist list which makes more sense. for featuring on album artist and artist then the best is this guest field for i will open my library with musicbee but i don't know how it will show in file browser.

urfausto

there is a doubt that came up to my mind: if you have more than one artist as album artist do you still use the album artist field since it seems you can't separate them or leave that blank and move to artist fields?
Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:55:20 PM by urfausto

urfausto

i have noticed that if you separate 2 artists from artist tag and leave album artist tag blank the album will appear as one artist under list per album artist. how is that?

phred

• Global Moderator
i have noticed that if you separate 2 artists from artist tag and leave album artist tag blank the album will appear as one artist under list per album artist. how is that?
This is the type of question that would be asking in the plugin's thread so that the developer will see it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

urfausto

This is the type of question that would be asking in the plugin's thread so that the developer will see it.
it's not the functioning of the plugin, i'm looking at musicbee here

urfausto

i've found the answer: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=4451.0

the problem is musicb won't manage multiple album artists. so either you have to leave it empty (and musicb will show automatically one album artist in which artists areseparated by a comma) or actually write yourself the artists as one album artist where obviously can differ between one another in the grammatical conjunction between the artists.

which one would you consider more correct? comma or the release configuration for the album collaboration (which sometimes is '&' others is 'and' etc etc)

phred

• Global Moderator
which one would you consider more correct? comma or the release configuration for the album collaboration (which sometimes is '&' others is 'and' etc etc)
I feel that "correct" is in the eyes of the beholder. Whatever works for you is the way you should go. Just be consistent. Or find a good data source (MusicBrainz) and use whatever they use. There really is no "correct" way.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

urfausto

I feel that "correct" is in the eyes of the beholder. Whatever works for you is the way you should go. Just be consistent. Or find a good data source (MusicBrainz) and use whatever they use. There really is no "correct" way.
i'm gonna find some examples and decide, though it is really more of an aestetic matter i guess. both are valid options even on the consistency plane.

urfausto

ok so far i am opting for a user-decided tagging for multiple album artists since if it happens to have already a band's name involving multiple terms and conjunctions between them plus even any featuring inside the album you will have a tagging where is not clear there's a collaboration or the band's name in the boxfield. for example: this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camo_%26_Krooked is a band's name and not a collaboration.

the only matter is should i use ',' or ';' what do you think?

moreover correct me if i'm being wrong here but it seems to me the functioning of musicb in album artist view is to trump album artist field if missing and blank and evenly show artist field.
Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:09:09 PM by urfausto

urfausto

ok so i've found out that you have to put ';' between collaboration artists in album artist tag in order to see them separately alike the field is left blank. there from you need to choose if you want to leave it blank and add eventual featurings in the same artist boxfield next to collaboration artists or put these latter inside the album artist and leave space to feats. in the artist boxfield, now though it will happen that you have blank artists tag if there is no featuring. i think i'm ok with it but depends on how you manage the library. what do you think?

phred

• Global Moderator
i think i'm ok with it but depends on how you manage the library. what do you think?
I've already stated it's a personal preference. Do what works best for you.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

urfausto

after some research i think you should use album artist only in compilation style albums.
even in the example i am using directly right now, where i have a collaboration between 2 artists and also featurings in it, if i leave the artist field for the album artist field for the 2 artists i will have artists tag empty if some of the tracks are anyway only made by those 2 artists and without a featuring.

so either all the tracks are made by different artists and you have a reason to trump these, or you must keep the 2 album artists in the artist field even if there are some feats.

that's how to use album artist tag i suppose. because also it is seems to be not an official, let's say, tag. it is of secondary importance and you should have artist tags first.