Author Topic: Alphabeticalise  (Read 3240 times)

glovenet

I'm just converting over from iTunes and I'm slowly getting my head around MusicBee. One question. All my albums are there in alphabetical order but the tracks are in random order. These albums are ones I have made myself, as opposed to proper downloaded albums. In iTunes, the tracks were automatically put in order. Is there a way to do it in MusicBee?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

If the album tag is the same for all tracks, try giving them track numbers for ordering
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

glovenet

I did think about that, but a few of my albums have between 150 to 200 tracks in them. Surely there's an easier way?

phred

• Global Moderator
Surely there's an easier way?
Tools > Tagging Tools > Renumber Tracks.
If it takes more than five seconds to renumber 200 tracks I'd be shocked.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

ajohnson065

• Retired Farmer Stewartstown, New Hampshire
try looking under Preferences...sorting/grouping. either modify the sorting to artist/album/title or create a new one.

phred

• Global Moderator
try looking under Preferences...sorting/grouping. either modify the sorting to artist/album/title or create a new one.
The OP is trying to put the album tracks in numerical order. sorting to artist/album/title will put them in alphabetical order which is not what is wanted.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

glovenet

Well, I tried numbering the tracks and it does just that, numbers them. Doesn't put them in numerical order. The other answer about sorting/grouping doesn't seem to do anything. Of course, I may not be doing it right, but I think I have gone through all the possible permutations with no effect. Can anyone give me a step by step account of how to do it? To repeat, all the albums are in alphabetical order, it is just the tracks within each album that are random. I even tried to manually move the individual tracks into different positions but it won't let me move them. Thanks everyone for your help so far.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Can you post a screenshot of what one of these albums looks like now and explain what it should look like?

If the tracks are numbered and you're sorting by album, MusicBee will put them in the order they're numbered in. But if they were in the wrong order and you numbered them in that order, then yeah they're still going to be in the wrong order.

Try this:
* Put one of the albums in a static (regular) playlist
* Show the # field and sort by that
* Drag it into the order you want (the # column should change to match your ordering - if it doesn't, right click and use List, Update Play Order)
** If you want it in alphabetical order, you can just sort by title and then update the order
* When it's in the right order, use the Renumber tracks command
* Go back to your library and see what happens if you sort by album
Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 05:11:37 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

glovenet

Tried putting the album into a playlist and putting them in alphabetical order. They automatically numbered themselves correctly but I couldn't get it to transfer to the main screen. So, in the end, I selected the whole album, went through them individually in the edit field and numbered them correctly (eg, 1 of 21, 2 of 21 etc). Then went to edit preferences > Sorting/Grouping and selected track #, apply then save. It worked. A bit convoluted and I'm not looking forward to doing that with the bigger albums!! I can't understand why MusicBee doesn't put them in alphabetical order right from the start like iTunes.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Did you try using renumber tracks once they were in order?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Zak

• Global Moderator
I can't think of a single instance where MusicBee's default ordering would be "random". It will always sort by something.
Some screenshots here would go a long way to working out what you're doing / trying to do.
Bee excellent to each other...

glovenet

Yes that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm sorting them in Audacity, where they automatically list in alphabetical order, and numbering them as I go along. So far it works

glovenet

I can't think of a single instance where MusicBee's default ordering would be "random". It will always sort by something.
Some screenshots here would go a long way to working out what you're doing / trying to do.
It's OK Zak. If it was easy to do a screenshot I would, but I'm sorting them with Audacity and it works fine. And thanks to all for your suggestions, you've all been very helpful

phred

• Global Moderator
Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:47:50 AM by psychoadept

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm sorting them in Audacity, where they automatically list in alphabetical order, and numbering them as I go along. So far it works

If it works, great. But what does Audacity have to do with MusicBee's Renumber Tracks command?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)