Author Topic: DSD file information and HDCD plugin  (Read 13592 times)

ememMusic

Probably why it's unstable. I suspect I now have two conversions going on. From DSD to DoP back to DSD. But confirmed by the music and the DAC audio driver: it's now native DSD being played. And I don't see any PCM switching on the DAC.

I'll stick to DoP :-)
Thanks for sharing those results!  I agree with your conclusion though.  Other readers, remember that with DoP you DO end up with native DSD being played, not a PCM conversion, as the DAC is reassembling the native DSD from the DoP stream.

Yes, I think my solution is all a bit too much. Especially since it makes no difference if it's native or DoP.  I'm now just loading up my computer with useless multiple conversions.

But this might work for Hiccup and his DSD256 files. If that 700+ PCM isn't accepted, the native stream might. DSDTranscoder can be set so that only DSD256 will play as native DSD, even if all the other DSD types are passed through as DoP.

DSDTranscoder is also open source (I think). Perhaps interesting to the developer(s) of MusicBee to see what happens within it and what that raw stream exiting DSDTranscoder actually looks like. It might shed some light on the 'why' for many DACs that raw option turns into noise.

mine

Nice findings , guys

Another one from the beginning  :
https://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard

DoP works flawlessly with Musicbee > USB and my RME DAC  (RME Asio Driver)
128FS > 352.8kHz. Even
256FS > 705.6K is supported .  
Wonder why some features are activated with DoP (not with native DSD)  - Spectrumanalyzer works, Volume works. Loudness works.. There must be some internal conversion  :o  ?
Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:19:08 PM by mine

ememMusic

Nice findings , guys

Another one from the beginning  :
https://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard

DoP works flawlessly with Musicbee > USB and my RME DAC  (RME Asio Driver)
128FS > 352.8kHz. Even
256FS > 705.6K is supported . 
Wonder why some features are activated with DoP (not with native DSD)  - Spectrumanalyzer works, Volume works. Loudness works.. There must be some internal conversion  :o  ?

That's interesting. For me it doesn't. Well, not the volume. For me the volume slider in MB has to be at 100%, else the DAC drops back to showing the PCM kHz with no sound. Maybe your DAC knows how to internally handle volume changes encoded in the PCM container? Not sure if that's possible with DoP. But looking at the RME, I think you should then also see the DB indicator drop (or go up) on the DAC LCD?

mine

Sorry I made a mistake . In the various hidden (there are so many !) RME  menues  , (if you are in USB mode) ,you have to activate :
DSD detection : on
DSD direct line : on
DSD Filter : on (50kHz orb 150 kHz).
And now  the spectrum analyzer and level meter turns into blue colour (it still works !) but now the other functions (Volume a.o. ) are disabled. So it works with DoP as it is supposed to do.
Nice side effect . With the RME- ADi 2 pro : via USB the SPDIF inputs can even record not only PCM but also DSD.
Remains : DoP works in the settings controlpanel , DSD direct is extremely dangerous , the hiss can destroy your speakers. Maybe Steve can have a look on it.
Sorry for my english  (not my native language)
Best
mine    (with regards from Germany) Donation done.
Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:14:25 PM by mine

ememMusic

Sorry I made a mistake . In the various hidden (there are so many !) RME  menues  , (if you are in USB mode) ,you have to aktivate
DSD detection : on
DSD direct line : on
DSD Filter : on (50kHz orb 150 kHz).
And now  the spectrum analyzer and level meter turns into blue colour (it still works !) but now the other functions (Volume a.o. ) are disabled. So it works with DoP as it is supposed to do.
Nice side effect . With the RME- ADi 2 pro : via USB the SPDIF inputs can even record not only PCM but also DSD.
Remains : DoP works in the settings controlpanel , DSD direct is extremely dangerous , the hiss can destroy your speakers. Maybe Steve can have a look on it.
Sorry for my english  (not my native language)
Best
mine    (with regards from Germany) Donation done.

Does DoP also turn to silence if you slide the volume away from 100%?

Additionally be careful. When I use DoP and I put the volume slider at 98%, the music turn into the same hiss as the raw stream. Only if I slide it lower, the DAC turns into silence, showing the PCM kHz. So in my setup the volume changes have some weird effects on DoP. Volume should be disconnected internally. You still want to be able to set it if your next file in a playlist is PCM, but it shouldn't bother DoP. In Foobar you can still slide it, but it's being ignored. EQ, DSPs, fading options etc. might all be a problem.

Another observation with DoP: if I turn on any of the visualizers, the music starts to speed up.

In the raw stream mode, the file doesn't progress at all. It just gets stuck in the first second, despite the noise being continuous. So I wonder if it's some kind of timing problem.
Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:52:56 PM by ememMusic

mine

[

Additionally be careful. When I use DoP and I put the volume slider at 98%, the music turn into the same hiss as the raw stream. Only if I slide it lower, the DAC turns into silence, showing the PCM kHz. So in my setup the volume changes have some weird effects on DoP.

Another observation with DoP: if I turn on any of the visualizers, the music starts to speed up.

In the raw stream mode, the file doesn't progress at all. It just gets stuck in the first second, despite the noise being continuous. So I wonder if it's some kind of timing problem.

No , no such observation .  Only the spectrum analyizer turns into blue ,  and all control elements are locked.
Found this @ RME :

"If you solely refer "DSD Native" as UAC Alternative Setting 3 such as many other USB audio interface chips (such as XMOS) support, it's NOT supporting that. It does not behave the same as many other DACs (such as XMOS based products) do.

It does support "ASIO native DSD", but it's just using the RME ASIO driver to convert native DSD to DOP on your computer first, and then send the DOP signal to the unit via USB. The conversion is seamless so you don't need to care about it in Windows. For any other operating systems you can't set your music player to output "native DSD" to the unit."

Best
mine
Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:03:29 PM by mine

sveakul

According to the developers of DoP, by design "If something goes wrong and the data stream is decoded as PCM, the output will be low-level noise with faint music in the back ground, so it fails safely. This can happen if the computer erases the marker code by applying a volume adjustment.."  But as your own experiment shows, that must be in some specific-but-undefined environment in terms of hardware and drivers.