Author Topic: Finding "rogue" files. Missing or in the wrong folder.  (Read 772 times)

K364

I may have messed up a few files by adding them and then not reorganizing into my monitored folders. Or inadvertently deleting them.

So, can these be found?

BTW, there must be some kind of SQL database for MB... can it be read from another app?

Appreciate any help!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If the files are still on your drive I'm sure they can be found, but I'm not clear on what you want MusicBee to do. Do you have tracks listed with a (!) icon?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

K364

I realized after poking around a bit that the "path" column can be added and sorted on. When I did this it was easy to see that several tracks were not in my monitored folders. And worse, some of them couldn't be found - when I tried to play them MB said "the source file for track xxx could not be found". Not sure how I did that... suspect I exported tracks (to a temporary folder and then deleted them) and made the assumption that the export would be a copy? Not sure. Yuck.

I don't see a (!) icon but I'm not sure where that would show up.

sveakul

The simplest way to find out where the files ARE, is just to put aside MusicBee for a moment and do a "Search" in Windows Explorer/File Explorer for the file names on your drive(s).  Once that mystery is solved, you can move/copy them anywhere you like, import them into your library, etc.  Or am I not understanding something?

K364

Sorry I wasn't being clear. Of my 9000+ files, I suspected that some had gone astray... either by being in the wrong folder or by being totally missing. This was verified when I sorted by path - there were several outside of my monitored folder and some of those didn't exist.

sveakul

there were several outside of my monitored folder and some of those didn't exist.

If you mean you are seeing files referenced in MusicBee that actually no longer exist on your PC, you can purge these references by running Tools->Advanced->Compress Library.