Author Topic: Allow non-custom tags to be written to database only  (Read 1926 times)

S0 B00sted

A feature that would be useful for a variety of scenarios would be the ability to have non-custom tag changes written only to the MusicBee database without being written to the files themselves, similar to how we are able to do with custom tags. It's a rather simple suggestion, I'm not sure there's much else to explain. So I'll just keep it short and sweet.  :)

phred

• Global Moderator
You mean  like this?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

S0 B00sted

You mean  like this?

Well yes, but as far as I'm aware this only works for custom tags. I'm suggesting there be some sort of "database-only mode" that applies to changes made to non-custom tags.

phred

• Global Moderator
Ahhh, yes. My mistake. I missed the part where you siad "similar to how we are able to do with custom tags."

So the answer is no, it can't be done.

My question to you is why would you want to do this? Understand that MB is a Music -Manager- and Player, with the emphasis being on 'manager.' In order to manage the music files, tags need to be save to where they would be expected as specified by ID3.

So what would one or two of your scenarios be where this would be useful to you. And I assume no one else.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Zak

• Global Moderator
Setting things up this way would run a huge risk of losing all of your metadata if something happens to the MusicBee database file.
Bee excellent to each other...

S0 B00sted

Ahhh, yes. My mistake. I missed the part where you siad "similar to how we are able to do with custom tags."

So the answer is no, it can't be done.

My question to you is why would you want to do this? Understand that MB is a Music -Manager- and Player, with the emphasis being on 'manager.' In order to manage the music files, tags need to be save to where they would be expected as specified by ID3.

So what would one or two of your scenarios be where this would be useful to you. And I assume no one else.

No worries. It'd be useful for any of the same reasons being able to not write custom tags would be useful. For me personally, my family shares a music collection and some of us have different preferences for how we would like the music tagged/organized.

Setting things up this way would run a huge risk of losing all of your metadata if something happens to the MusicBee database file.

Backups, backups, backups! :)

Zak

• Global Moderator
For me personally, my family shares a music collection and some of us have different preferences for how we would like the music tagged/organized.
How curious. I would have thought the metadata is an objective thing - it's not like two people can argue that the same track is by a different artist (aliases notwithstanding).

If it's only for presentation purposes, is it not something that could be catered for with different filters, views and/or virtual tags?
Bee excellent to each other...

Whicker

I would also love this a lot. Another scenario would be for people with torrents. Any tag changes in musicbee messes up seeding. Currently the only workaround I have is to have duplicates of every file :(.

S0 B00sted

For me personally, my family shares a music collection and some of us have different preferences for how we would like the music tagged/organized.
How curious. I would have thought the metadata is an objective thing - it's not like two people can argue that the same track is by a different artist (aliases notwithstanding).

If it's only for presentation purposes, is it not something that could be catered for with different filters, views and/or virtual tags?

Aliases, naming of live albums, capitalization, handling of artist tags for albums with multiple artists, whether to fill in the "Disc" tags for albums with only one disc, etc. We're very particular about our tagging, but having duplicates of otherwise identical files is simply a waste of disk space. :)