Author Topic: How to copy files into Musicbee as easily as iTunes? Possible?  (Read 957 times)

greatfox

Hi, most of my mp3s are ripped from vinyl, so they have no tags or artwork.
In iTunes, I used to drag and drop the files from Windows Explorer into iTunes, and it would copy them over and show them in order I added them.  Then I used iTunes to add tags (to whole albums, and then individual files, as iTunes would bring the filename into the song title field automatically).  Then I added song numbers and artwork.  This works well, but I have 600 gigs of music, so iTunes is getting bogged down.

What is the easiest way with the least amount of steps to duplicate this effort in Musicbee? 

Honestly if this program can't do it, I need to move onto another program, or just stick with iTunes.

Suggestions please! Thanks

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
MusicBee should be able to do all of that as well or better than iTunes. In fact, if your files are organized by album on the drive you can use the file and folder names to infer some tags. Or if you apply an album name, MusicBee may be able to retrieve the rest of the tags for you.

I suggest looking at the Tagging and Auto-tagging pages on the wiki
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

greatfox

MusicBee should be able to do all of that as well or better than iTunes. In fact, if your files are organized by album on the drive you can use the file and folder names to infer some tags. Or if you apply an album name, MusicBee may be able to retrieve the rest of the tags for you.

I suggest looking at the Tagging and Auto-tagging pages on the wiki

Hi, thanks.  The files are named by track number and title, such as "01 - Title", and the folders are named "artist - album title".  Can you suggest the best way to copy the files over into my library folders, which are already in Artist\Album title structure?  Should I try the inbox, or try the monitored folders?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Well, inbox and monitored folders aren't mutually exclusive, but my advice would be not to automate anything until you're more comfortable with the process.

Use the Scan Folder for New Files command, or do what you're used to and drag & drop. The inbox can be helpful for managing your workflow, start there and move things to the library once you're happy with the tags.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)