Author Topic: Export/Import playlist - what have I done wrong?  (Read 1004 times)

dontfollowme

Hi,

This morning I exported my playlists as I was swapping out my boot drive for a new one. I have come to import my playlists and each one only contains ten tracks which I think is probably the last album I played in MB before changing the drive over.

I have opened up the playlist in Notepad ++ but it still shows the same ten tracks.

What have I done wrong?

I do have the option of plugging in the old boot drive and re exporting the playlists if this is the step I got wrong.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Update:

So I have located the old playlists and this is a sample:
F:\Music\Sparklehorse-Dreamt_For_Light_Years_In_The_Belly_Of_A_Mountain-(Advance)-2006-uF\03-sparklehorse-shade_and_honey.mp3ÿÿÿÿN

From within MB it will not let me import this playlist. So that is my next line of investigation. Do I need to convert it to m3u?

Update 2: now sorted.
Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:21:20 PM by dontfollowme

dontfollowme

So wasn't too bad to fix in the end. Things I learnt:

The export playlist function didn't work as I expected it
The playlist files are stored under windows music library under a music bee folder rather than under the music bee install folder (this is the default - expect you can change it)
Use the relink function to point MB to the new location if the drive letter has changed: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Relink_Music_File_Paths - You need to state the full file path rather than just the drive where the music folder was/is now located
When you open a playlist file in notepad it looks strange as per my post above. This is fine, that's what they look like.

dontfollowme

One issue left to solve. The imported playlist has removed the tags from a lot of the tracks:

https://imgur.com/a/Jg54E6L

dontfollowme

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: Realise I'm talking to myself but this was resolved by making sure the box was ticked for scan for new or updated files at startup under preferences > library
Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:44:52 PM by dontfollowme