Author Topic: Unable to read CD track 'Track 01'  (Read 10437 times)

BillH

I am getting an error message when I put in a CD to try and rip it.  The error says "Unable to read CD track 'Track 01'".  I get this for almost all CDs I try.  When I get the error sometimes it does not show all the info for the tracks (title, album, artist, etc) and sometimes it does.  When it does show all the track information I am able to rip the CD just fine.  If I try the same CD using iTunes, it has no trouble reading the CD.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Bill

phred

• Global Moderator
I've seen this every now and then, but only when playing the CD, not when ripping. And I've found that when I get the error, if I simply hit 'play' it starts with the first track. It hasn't bothered me that much which is why I never reported it. I also never saw anyone else mention it.

But now that we've got some traction on the issue, I'll move it to the bug reports section.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sveakul

Does it make any difference if you replace basscd.dll with the new release version from here http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?basscd24 ?

BillH

I don't think I explained myself very well.  The error actually occurs immediately after I put the CD in the drive.  It really has nothing to do with the fact I was going to rip the CD.  That was a red herring.  Sorry.

I just put the same CD in the drive and this time I got the error but no information showed in the window where the tracks are displayed.   No track number, title, album, artist, time, or year.  I clicked on the play button and the CD plays fine.  If I go to the Now Playing window the Upcoming Tracks shows all the tracks names, artist, and time just fine.

I shut down MusicBee and downloaded the zip file and copied just the basscd.dll file into the MusicBee folder replacing the one that was there.  Was that what I was supposed to do?

I inserted the same CD and this time in the window where track information is displayed it only shows the following:

Disc-Track#         Title                 Album             Artist           Time               Year

01                         Track01                                                       3:10
02                         Track02                                                       3:25
etc.  

No album, artist, or year info.

The CD plays fine.  Now playing shows the correct title, artist, and time.

Bill
Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:18:40 PM by BillH

BillH

I reverted to the old basscd.dll file and this time when I inserted the CD I got the same results as with the new basscd.dll, but I didn't get the error message.

See image at:

https://imgur.com/TJkCJO7

Bill

sveakul

I shut down MusicBee and downloaded the zip file and copied just the basscd.dll file into the MusicBee folder replacing the one that was there.  Was that what I was supposed to do?

Yes, that was my suggestion.  While there never are guarantees that newer BASS versions will fix a particular problem, their developer updates them for a reason so there's always a chance that includes a positive effect on the issue in question.

As I really don't use MusicBee to play optical CDs I'm personally out of suggestions you might try, but hopefully others will step in.

BillH

@sveakul

Thanks for the help and suggestion.  It was worth a try!

Bill

BillH

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not sure what to do at this point.  I am still getting this error message on many CD's that read just fine in iTunes so I don't think there is a problem with the CD's or the CD drive.  Is this bug now in the system and I just have to be patient?  If I can provide any additional information that would help figure out what the problem is, let me know.

Thanks,
Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Have you tried googling to see if anyone else has had this kind of issue with your optical drive? I use iTunes for ripping anyway, partly because it doesn't tie up MusicBee's resources, but I've never had a problem like you describe.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
if you run this patch version of MB, it will list the bass error code with the "Unable to read CD track 'Track 01" error when you try to play the track. If you let me know what it is it might shed some light on the issue.

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

BillH

@Steven

The error code shown after the  "Unable to read CD track 'Track 01" error is error code 12.

Thanks,
Bill

sveakul

Bill, just out of curiousity, what drive letter is your CD drive assigned to, and is it an internal or external unit?  Error code 12 means "No CD in drive", but of course we know that can't be the case so my own thoughts are some kind of "latency" issue in device initialization that BASS is having trouble with.  Also, does changing the audio output choice in MB make any difference?

BillH

@sveakul

Thanks for the reply.

The CD drive is E:\.  It is an internal unit. 

If it were a latency issue wouldn't that also impact iTunes?  Also, when I put in a DVD there is no apparent latency in playing it with VLC.

The audio player output is currently set to WASAPI (Shared).  Is that the setting you are referring to?  What should I set it to?  I don't understand what the output device would have to do with reading a CD.

Thanks,
Bill

sveakul

The audio player output is currently set to WASAPI (Shared).  Is that the setting you are referring to?  What should I set it to?  I don't understand what the output device would have to do with reading a CD.

Yes.  I was thinking that since BASS uses an additional library for wasapi-exclusive (basswasapi.dll) whereas only bass.dll is now needed for shared (it's now the bass.dll's internal default), it may affect the process in some way--yep, a GUESS, haha..  We'll have to wait for Steven's reply to get to the real issue.  FWIW, at one time the basscd.dll didn't recognize certain drive letters but even the stock one included with MusicBee has had that fix for a while.

BillH

I tried it with WASAPI (Exclusive) and got the same error message.  I'll wait to hear back from Steven.

Thanks.
Bill