Author Topic: [Mostly Implemented] Use Filters as an Option to Define Rules  (Read 3454 times)

Pingaware

If possible, could filters be used for defining rules? It would be helpful for defining further filters if MB could be told "Use files not in this filter". Playlists are already selectable so I don't see why we couldn't have filters as well.

[Original unclear post: It would be useful in some cases to have filters available for use in defining rules. I know that I could achieve the same affect by just defining an auto-playlist with the same rules I wanted, but I prefer to have my playlist views and my filter views looking different, and this therefore would not be possible.]

EDIT: For anyone digging through the wishlist, this is now possible for auto-playlists, and not really much of a problem for filters.
Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:05:01 PM by Pingaware
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I prefer to have my playlist views and my filter views looking different, and this therefore would not be possible.

I'm not against the request, I just have no clue what you mean by this.  Can you clarify or give an example?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Xyzzy

I prefer to have my playlist views and my filter views looking different, and this therefore would not be possible.

I'm not against the request, I just have no clue what you mean by this.  Can you clarify or give an example?

You define Filter 'Movie Music' = 'path contains "soundtrack"'. Then fe in Auto Playlist creation dialog you select fields 'Filter equal to Movie Music'

I think this is it.

Pingaware

Yeah sorry, that's entirely unclear and not actually what I meant to say at all. What was meant by that statement was that I like to have my Library displayed using 'Album and Tracks' view, while all my playlists use 'Track Details' view. This doesn't actually matter to me, because if you define a filter to just use songs from the auto-playlist, then you still get your library displayed in Album and Tracks view.

However, the point I originally meant to make (must have got distracted when posting), is that I like to keep my playlists as an actual list of things I would play. The specific group of tracks that one of my filters covers I don't actually want to play frequently as I feel they still need work doing to them (see my post here - they are, for instance, all without ReplayGain values). For this reason, I prefer not to use Auto-Playlists for this purpose - and as filters are defined in the same way as Auto-Playlists, I assume that it would be possible for rules to be created based on filters as well.

Hopefully that's a bit more clear! (I'm still not convinced it is, but oh well.)
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1 to using a specific filter as a playlist source.  Would simplify creating auto-playlists if you don't have to re-enter all the rules you used to define the filter.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)