Author Topic: 3.3.7173 showing some low bitrate MP3s as being twice as long as they are  (Read 1250 times)

Sigma

I have some 64Kbps MP3 files that are showing up as twice as long as they actually are in certain places in MusicBee.

In my library, in the playing tracks list, and in the track information box, it's showing the files as being twice as long as they are, however, the correct length is shown above the progress bar while one of these MP3s is playing.

If I convert the files to WAV the correct lengths are shown everywhere, but then as soon as I convert them back to MP3 again, I get the double length issue.

The only other programs I have on my computer that can play MP3 files are Groove Music and MPC-BE, both of which display the correct track lengths, so I'm not sure what's happening here.

Steven

• Administrator

sveakul

The file shows up in Mp3val as "VBR detected, but no VBR header is present. Seeking may not work properly."  Mp3val cannot fix it when tried.  Opened it up in Foobar2000 and applied the Utilities function "Fix VBR MP3 header,"  this fixed the issue and the file now displays/plays the proper time and bitrate.  So, run those suckers through Foobar first, or see if Mp3diags can fix them-- which I understand has that function, although I don't have the app myself.
Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 10:12:13 PM by sveakul

zkhcohen

The file shows up in Mp3val as "VBR detected, but no VBR header is present. Seeking may not work properly."  Mp3val cannot fix it when tried.  Opened it up in Foobar2000 and applied the Utilities function "Fix VBR MP3 header,"  this fixed the issue and the file now displays/plays the proper time and bitrate.  So, run those suckers through Foobar first, or see if Mp3diags can fix them-- which I understand has that function, although I don't have the app myself.

Oooo, good catch my friend.

Didn't even consider that they were mis-tagged VBR files.