Author Topic: MusicBee Media Storage / Sync to cloud storage  (Read 2399 times)

JamieC

I did some initial searching and found this issue referenced in a general discussion regarding version 3.2 and future efforts.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=22977.msg134287#msg134287

My Situation:
-I do not have a san or nas...and yes I am considering going there with possible Qnapp.
-My music library is approximately 121 GB
-That library syncs to Google drive.  I had the space available and I've lost collections before when a laptop dies or is stolen.
-I am from the US but I am an expat bouncing every couple years to places with sometimes questionable internet quality.

Issues:
-My download speed here in Cairo is surprisingly good...and upload speed is terrible
-Any time I make a change to a song TAG...the entire file needs to be uploaded via Google Drive.  Google Drive does NOT do block level syncs.

What I'm considering:
-Moving my files from Google Drive to some other service which allows block level synchronization.  Therefore, if I change one field in the tag of a song..it will not require the entire file to be re-upoaded.
-DropBox has block level...but Im not liking the cost
-iDrive is a well established backup service that also allows file syncs AND performs them at block level.  Pricing seems good.

If I go to a service like iDrive....the initial backup over the wire would take a crazy long time...and it would eat up my allowed monthly bandwidth cap pretty quick.  iDrive does have a service called something like iDrive Express where they will send you an external harddrive that you seed locally with your files, mail it back and then in about a week after they receive it you are able to sync their seeded server to your local device.

I'm curious if anyone else does or has considered anything related to what I've stated here.  I suppose another route would be for me to simply do a local backup of my files to my own external drive or NAS.

Another thing I wonder...if there are certain settings within MusicBee that control how it stores information such as TAGS which might reduce the number of changes that occur to a music file.  For instance...if I change the rating on a song..perhaps the rating info is saved to a local library file and not inside the music file itself.

Look forward to your responses...

boroda

"additional tagging & reporting tools" plugin has functionality to backup/restore only tags.