Author Topic: Matching Folder Names/Content with Musicbee  (Read 1051 times)

d

I haven't found a player yet that is consistent between Win 10 and Android.  I have all my music in master folder that I can put anywhere, PC, phone, flash drive.  I can import music to musicbee but it always forgets things.  For example, I have a folder that has an album.  I just opened that album and only 2 of the 11 tracks are in the album in musicbee even though all 11 were there when I first imported.

I have other albums where tracks disappear from time to time.  I try to re-order tracks (not playlists) and musicbee decides it doesn't want my order so it re-arranges them.

Am I using musicbee wrong?

hiccup

Software such as MusicBee functions best when you take care that the metadata of your music files are in order.
If—as you state—you have all your music files in one master folder, how should any music managing software know what is what and be able to further filter and display on your demands?

And I don't understand what you mean by 'MusicBee forgets'.
If data gets 'forgotten on a computer, you should look at the state of your physical storage.

Ignore this.
Superior reply below.
Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:21:10 AM by hiccup

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

We're going to need a lot more detail in order to understand the problem and advise you. 

In particular, I don't understand what you mean by reordering tracks.  Unless it's in a static playlist, tracks are in whatever order you sort them by: artist/album/title or whatever. Can you provide a screenshot of what your trying to do there?

Regarding the albums with missing tracks, can you show is one? Are the files where they should be on the drive? Are they all showing up in MusicBee, just not together, or have some actually been removed from MusicBee?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

d

My music files are in order.  I have a master folder called "Music" with 42 sub-folders, each for a different complete album.  I've looked at preferences > library > monitor folders and it is pointing to "Music."  If I select Choose Folders in library preferences, then all of my folders are under Music and they are all checked.  If I examine the actual folder of the one I used as an example before, it has 11 tracks.  Yet Musicbee only shows 2 tracks of the 11.  (I haven't gone through all 42 sub-folders to see if the rest are complete, or if some of the "missing" tracks are in the wrong folder in Musicbee.)

Musicbee appears to "forget" several things.  I can drag files from the actual folder into the album on Musicbee, and all the tracks are there.  But after some time (1, 2 or more restarts of Musicbee?), the album reverts back and many of the tracks disappear from Musicbee.

The other "forget" is if I click and drag to re-order tracks in an album, that sticks for a while.  And then on another restart of Musicbee, the tracks change to a different order.

I suspect my physical storage is just as likely to cause this problem as it is to display the post which I assume you really sent.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Dave

Ooops.  New reply by psychoadept.

I don't know how Musicbee orders music.  In my folder, it's alphabetic.  In Musicbee, it is not.  As I said above, I can click and drag a track in the "Playing Tracks" window and change the order.  I mostly want to do this with individual tracks I've purchased and put into one folder..

I don't know how to show you that Musicbee has 2 tracks and my folder has 11 tracks without creating a url.  Too much trouble.

BTW, I did install v3.3.

frankz

If all 11 (for example) of the 11 tracks for an album are showing in the folder view but only 2 of the 11 tracks are showing in your library, that means 9 of the 11 songs for that album are not tagged correctly.  

First step is to go to Edit->Edit Preferences->Sorting/Grouping.

If each album is in its own folder and you intend to always have each album in its own folder and you don't intend to tag them properly, select "files for each album are organized into their own folder."  Now all the files in each folder should show up as an album in your library.

If you do intend to tag them properly (you should), instead of the above, take note of what fields are selected under "the following fields define an album."  Then make sure that each album shares those fields in common and each album will show up correctly in your library.

Additionally, it would be a good idea to spend some time on the Wiki to familiarize yourself with the common parlance we all use when we're talking about MusicBee. It will greatly help the rest of us understand what you're asking / talking about, and it's a good idea for new users in general.

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/The_Anatomy_of_MusicBee

Also, it's very rude to say creating a screenshot is "too much trouble" when you ask a total stranger to go to the trouble to help you and that stranger asks for more information in order to help you. But I guess that's beside the point.
Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:40:45 AM by frankz

phred

• Global Moderator
Also, it's very rude to say creating a screenshot is "too much trouble" when you ask a total stranger to go to the trouble to help you and that stranger asks for more information in order to help you. But I guess that's beside the point.
Actually I think that -is- the point. If I ask someone to post a screenshot for clarification so I or others can help, and the person refuses, or feels it's a bother, why would I (or anyone else) make an attempt to help. It's not only rude, but extremely selfish.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have answered either, but I get caught up in the "someone will Google search this in two years and appreciate that this answer is here" mindset sometimes.

phred

• Global Moderator
but I get caught up in the "someone will Google search this in two years and appreciate that this answer is here" mindset sometimes.
And that's not a bad thing.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

d

I looked around for a way to post a .jpg or other screenshot, but I didn't see it.  The only thing I saw was a way to post a .url.  I'm not one for posting private url's in public places.  That just opens me up for spammers.

And, of course, no matter what you say there is always someone who is offended.  It wasn't intended as an insult and I'm sorry any of you took it that way.

No problems.  Be happy.  I'll move on.

d.