Author Topic: How to make inserted CD autoplay  (Read 3260 times)

BillH

I just downloaded MusicBee and really like it.  One question though.  When I insert a CD it does not autoplay.  MusicBee does not even appear in the apps listed to use as the default action for autoplaying a CD.  How can I get this to work?  I am on Windows 10 1903.  I downloaded MusicBee version 3.3 from the forum post.  I searched around on the forum for a solution, but couldn't find one.

Thanks,
Bill

Bizy

Guess this is Windows related.  You need to tell Windows you want it to use MB as primary player.
(Settings/Apps/Default Apps/Player)
b.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What Bizy said. You may also need to run MusicBee as admin long enough to configure it in the system menu (general preferences) before Windows will see it as an option.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

BillH

Thanks for your replies!

@Bizy

That is the problem.  MusicBee is not listed in the list of apps so I can't select it.  Shouldn't it have been added to this list by MusicBee when I installed it?

@psycoadept

I ran it as administrator and it still doesn't show up in the list of apps that I can set as default in Settings/Apps/Default Apps/Player.  What is system menu (general preferences)?

Edit:  I just noticed that MusicBee also does not appear in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay.

Bill
Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:19:06 PM by BillH

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What is system menu (general preferences)?

I'm referring to MusicBee's Preferences window. You can't just run as administrator, you have to configure it where it says "enable MusicBee in Windows Explorer and context menus".
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

BillH

@psychoadept

Thanks so much!  That fixed it.  Now MusicBee is available in the list of apps  to use as the Music Player default.  When I set the default to MusicBee and inserted a CD it asked what I wanted to do with the CD and "playing the songs with MusicBee was one of the options.  I selected that and MusicBee started up and began to play the songs.

One more question if you don't mind.  One thing I liked about iTunes was that you had the option of either playing the songs or just showing the songs on the CD.  This was nice if I wanted to rip the songs instead of playing them.  Can I do this in MusicBee?  If not it is no big deal as I can just stop the songs playing and then rip the CD.

Thanks,
Bill
Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:42:34 PM by BillH