Author Topic: Artwork shows in MusicBee, but SOME albums no art in DLNA?  (Read 2486 times)

Mauser69

Strange problem here - looking for any ideas on where to look...

First of all, the vast majority of my albums have artwork saved as a .jpg file, but a small number were crated with the artwork embedded in the music file (no idea why).  ALL of my albums show the artwork just fine in MusicBee.

All of my music files are stored on a Netgear ReadyNAS with integrated DLNA server.  I have just done a full rescan of all the files in the DLNA admin setup.  This issue affects only a very few of the albums where the artwork is embedded in the music file.  MOST of the albums with the artwork embedded display the art just fine in DLNA, but a FEW do not show any art at all in DLNA, even though they show the art correctly in MusicBee.

So the question is, where would I look to try and figure out why only a few of the albums with embedded artwork do not show that art in the DLNA server?

redwing

Any differences if you use a smaller resolution/size of cover image for one of those albums?

Mauser69

Bingo - it is not the size, but your question did lead me to find the actual cause.

I do not know how to change the size of an embedded art - I guess it is probably no different than any other picture, but I do not even have other sizes of the existing art to try.  I purchased all these files as .mp3 from ZBS, and they all came with the embedded artwork.

At first I thought you might be on to something with that idea, as I used the Artwork tab of the Edit screen to look at the file sizes (shown briefly when hovered over).  I noticed that almost all of the images that WERE being displayed in DLNA were smaller than 157KB, while the ones NOT working were all larger.  And then I found one that was being shown just fine at 448KB.

But then I FINALLY spotted the real issue - when I hovered over the ones that were NOT working, it showed [image/png], and all the good ones were [image/jpeg].  I had not seen that information before since there are no file names to look at!  Now all I have to do is figure out how to extract those embedded images and change the format to .jpg.

redwing

Now all I have to do is figure out how to extract those embedded images and change the format to .jpg.

Use Artwork manager (Tools> Artwork> Album Artwork manager). If you right click on a displayed image within the tool, context menu will show "Convert to jpeg"command.

Mauser69

author=redwing

Use Artwork manager (Tools> Artwork> Album Artwork manager). If you right click on a displayed image within the tool, context menu will show "Convert to jpeg"command.
Cool - that sounds great; I did not know that existed.

But I also cannot figure out yet how to get it to work!  When I select that tool, it displays nothing at all.  I guess I'll have to do more research.

redwing

It shows artwork of all selected tracks in the main panel. If no track is selected, it will show artwork of all tracks in the main panel.

Mauser69

Alright, I found a way to make it work - not sure if it was right or not, but if I FIRST selected "Show Artwork" from the main MB display, then opened the Artwork Manger, I could then close the displayed artwork window and make the edits.

Mauser69

It shows artwork of all selected tracks in the main panel. If no track is selected, it will show artwork of all tracks in the main panel.
Actually, it did not do that for me.  When I had one or more tracks selected and then tried to open the Artwork Manager, the panel presented had NOTHING in it.  It only worked if I first selected Show Artwork for the album, and then went into the tool while that artwork window was still up.

But it worked fine on a different album, just like you said!  Not sure what was up with that first one. . .

Mauser69

Great, got 'em all fixed now.  I really did not have much hope of figuring that one out here, since the issue was actually just inside of the DLNA server, but it turned out to be pretty simple.

THANX for your help redwing!