Author Topic: Search Everywhere  (Read 4913 times)

Wolo

Currently, when MB  is opened you need to click the searchbar then type what you search.

It would be great if you could remove the " click the searchbar " step, this way when the MusicBee windows is opened if you type something it will automatically search what you are typing, it may sounds stupid but this little improvement is very useful and save time.

I know such a feature exists for Windows Media Player (and probably a lot of others) so this is definitely something doable.

Thanks.

Sarge

how would it know you weren't just editing something, and not searching

Steven

• Administrator
the other thing is each panel already responds to key-presses eg. if the main panel is focused then MB will search the first row starting with the letter you type (matched on the sort field).
There is already a hot-key command you can assign to focus to the search text box

Wolo

how would it know you weren't just editing something, and not searching

Well of course this should be disabled when editing or tagging stuff.

the other thing is each panel already responds to key-presses eg. if the main panel is focused then MB will search the first row starting with the letter you type (matched on the sort field).
There is already a hot-key command you can assign to focus to the search text box

I'm not sure i follow you Steven, right now when i'm on the Music Library Panel and i type something, absolutely nothing happens.
About the hotkey, do you mean ctrl+f ? I forgot that option but still it would be better if we could skip this step. Not a big deal, i admit.

Sarge

what version are you using?..if my focus is on the main panel, and i type a name etc. it just searches without clicking on the search box first.

Steven

• Administrator
I'm not sure i follow you Steven, right now when i'm on the Music Library Panel and i type something, absolutely nothing happens.
About the hotkey, do you mean ctrl+f ? I forgot that option but still it would be better if we could skip this step. Not a big deal, i admit.
if  you are using 1.2.4037+, and say sort by artist then type in P when the main panel has focus, it will locate the first artist starting with P

Wolo

My bad, focus was on the music library button on the left, if i click one of those artist/genre/year.. boxes indeed it locates what i am looking for.

Thanks for helping  :)

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
It doesn't seem to work in album art view for me. It would be cool aswell if you could do more than one letter, say hitting the letter 'g' took you to the 1st artist starting with 'g' which might be 'Gang of Four' but hitting 'g' then 'e' in quick succession takes you to the 1st artist that begins 'ge' which might be 'Genesis'.
That would be handy as anything
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Sarge

what would be way way way way cool, is to be able to just "think" of a song and it starts playing,  :o

Sarge

Ha ha ha    :D  wtf !     maybe steven can put mind control in the next update.

Steven

• Administrator
It doesn't seem to work in album art view for me. It would be cool aswell if you could do more than one letter, say hitting the letter 'g' took you to the 1st artist starting with 'g' which might be 'Gang of Four' but hitting 'g' then 'e' in quick succession takes you to the 1st artist that begins 'ge' which might be 'Genesis'.
That would be handy as anything
MB already supports pressing a key in quick succession but i guess the delay before it considers the key to be a new starting letter is too quick so i will extend the time a bit.
The album art view works ok for me. You need to ensure the panel has focus. If its still not working what is your sort criteria displayed at the top of the panel?
Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:31:21 PM by Steven

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
It doesn't seem to work for me. I have it grouped by artist and 'sort by album artist/album (ascending)' is also ticked
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here