Author Topic: LastFM changes to API (02/05/19)  (Read 41056 times)

hiccup

Listenbrainz is another option.

That might be a very good idea.

Them being a part of MetaBrainz is a very big advantage and could also open up many other new possibilities for MusicBee.
Imagine the data they have available from their MusicBrainz, ListenBrainz, AcousticBrainz and CritiqueBrainz projects.

redwing

Even if I make changes and go live in the next few days there will be many months before it takes effect as users adopt the new version ie. this rate limit issue is going to remain for a long time.

When the official release of a new version (whatever changes are made into that) is ready, can't you just change the API key that would make the current key expire after a while? That would force users to look for an update to resolve their ongoing last.fm issue. But it will be up to how you're gonna deal with this whether such a measure is necessary or not.

Mr. Trev

I'll toss in my random unsolicited opinion…

My biggest use for the LastFM api is the similar artists function in AutoDJ. I'm not sure how much this will be affected, but I imagine that eventually it will be. Even though I really like having that feature, my vote goes into the "screw them" box. Seems like options such as LibreFM, Listenbrainz, or the Spotify plugin could just as easily fill in the gap - and only get better as (hopefully) more people jump ship from LastFM.

just my 5¢…
Cheers

frankz

I've seen libre.fm mentioned a lot of places over the last few years. I don't know if anyone here has actually used libre.fm, but I signed up for an account 8 hours ago that I have no way to access because I never got an authentication email. Nothing in my email account, nothing in my spam.  No way to resend the email on the page.  All the tools I've found for importing from last.fm are years old and don't appear to have been updated in a long while. I found this guide on reddit from 3 years ago on how to do it.  No idea if that still works.  I could have tried it if I'd been able to access the account I created. 

As far as Listenbrainz, I've had an account with that for a while.  I regularly import my last.fm scrobbles there.  You click a button and they're there: dead simple.  Besides accepting scrobbles (which they call "listens," because apparently scrobbles is a trademark) and feeding them back via their API, it doesn't do much, but I'm not sure it needs to for our purposes.  Listenbrainz is by Musicbrainz, which is a foundation with some backing $$ behind it.

Skywake

I listen to and scrobble music on my phone,  reverse scrobble to MB and then sync back auto playlists to my phone.
I do this every day.  It works the same today as it did May 2.
I wouldn't have made an account on this forum and posted if it was working fine for me. All I know is that it has worked almost without fail for the probably 4 maybe 5 years I've been using MusicBee and then the last week it's been a bit temperamental. I usually "refresh" my phone once a week. The reverse scrobble wasn't working for me last friday, then again on monday, tuesday it worked and I assumed it was just a last.fm outage or something. But wednesday out of curiosity I checked again and nada. So I look into it and find the last.fm post and this thread here, post my ire. Curiously it's working for me today again.

Without that? Last.fm is just stats and Musicbee is a glorified windows explorer.
Welcome to the forum. :-\
Yeah I know I came off as a bit brutal but TBH that's kinda how it is. I haven't really listened to music via a desktop client for years, I use my phone on the go and Sonos when at home. MusicBee for me is just a way to generate "rotation" playlists like I used to make for WinAmp, Windows Media Player and Amarok for a bit for the way I listen to music now. Without the full two-way sync with last.fm it doesn't do that for me. This feature is why I started using MusicBee in the first place.

So when I see that one thing being broken? I make a post on a forum where people who may be able to push back on it will see. ;)

frankz

Without that? Last.fm is just stats and Musicbee is a glorified windows explorer.

I wouldn't have made an account on this forum and posted if it was working fine for me. All I know is that it has worked almost without fail for the probably 4 maybe 5 years I've been using MusicBee and then the last week it's been a bit temperamental. I usually "refresh" my phone once a week. The reverse scrobble wasn't working for me last friday, then again on monday, tuesday it worked and I assumed it was just a last.fm outage or something. But wednesday out of curiosity I checked again and nada. So I look into it and find the last.fm post and this thread here, post my ire. Curiously it's working for me today again.

Yeah I know I came off as a bit brutal but TBH that's kinda how it is. I haven't really listened to music via a desktop client for years, I use my phone on the go and Sonos when at home. MusicBee for me is just a way to generate "rotation" playlists like I used to make for WinAmp, Windows Media Player and Amarok for a bit for the way I listen to music now. Without the full two-way sync with last.fm it doesn't do that for me. This feature is why I started using MusicBee in the first place.

So when I see that one thing being broken? I make a post on a forum where people who may be able to push back on it will see. ;)
Sorry you had to try more than once to sync your mobile song plays to a program you didn't pay for.  That must have been hard for you.  You OK?

Maybe the proper reaction when you're "irate" over something like this isn't to insult the hard work of someone who let you enjoy the benefits of that hard work for 5 years for free on a site he owns?
Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:45:26 PM by frankz

ost

As for me I rather will stop using last.fm than MusicBee.

frankz

Last.fm has imposed limits on how many times any app, including MB, can communicate with its server for everything but scrobbling (including initial login), and they are not being reasonable in addressing how that affects their users.  

These functions are going to work and not work at different times until Steven removes some or all of the functionality and they completely stop working. Plan accordingly.

Posts about the functions and features of alternative services would be helpful.
Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:06:48 PM by frankz

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
So with me all Last.FM functions work
Not quite all  :(
That 'star-within-a-square' image in your now playing bar is were last.FM has stopped providing artist images.

I have not had any of the error message windows myself, but my times of use are probably not in peak usage hours.
For me ListenBrainz, even if only in beta, is looking a very attractive alternative.

If CBS can slip this change into the terms of service:
Quote from: https://www.last.fm/api/tos
Rate Limit: Last.fm sets and enforces limits on use of the API to prevent abuse and ensure reliability of service (e.g. limiting the number of API requests that you may make or the number of users you may serve), in our sole discretion. You agree to, and will not attempt to circumvent, such limitations. If you would like to use the API beyond these limits, you must obtain Last.fm’s express consent (and Last.fm may decline such request or condition acceptance on your agreement to additional terms and/or charges for that use).

How long will it be before they start enforcing these little gems:
You must credit Last.fm and include links to the Last.fm site when You use the Last.fm Data.

You must not transmit, export, transfer, divert, or send any Last.fm Data to any country without obtaining any consents or authorisations required by law or regulation in such country.

Although You are granted this licence without charge, Last.fm reserves the right to share in revenue generated from your use of Last.fm Data in future on terms to be negotiated in good faith between Last.fm and You.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

zkhcohen

screw them.
yes I do find that statement very appealing at the moment and thats what I really meant when I said I was in two minds.
Thanks for the spotify link - i had forgotten about that and I will discuss that with the author of the spotify plugin
As to track love, I had the same thoughts and if I do go down the path of "screw them" I was thinking if last.fm is just being used for playcount stats then I would remove last.fm scrobbling all-together and make it available for libre-fm.
Anyway, when I will leave this a few days before deciding definitely what I will do and see what others have to say.

edit:
Also there is already an API for album artwork retreival. There are other sites that could be accessed via a plugin.
If someone is willing to work on an artist picture retrieval plugin, i can add an API for that

Let me know exactly what needs to be done and I can probably do it.

Steven

• Administrator
When the official release of a new version (whatever changes are made into that) is ready, can't you just change the API key that would make the current key expire after a while? That would force users to look for an update to resolve their ongoing last.fm issue.
thanks for the suggestion and i have proposed that to last.fm but haven't heard back as yet

rudolph

I wouldn't call this a bug. LastFM changed the terms of use for their API and you have exceeded the new limits. I doubt there's anything Steven can do legally to get around the new limits and I wouldn't expect him to try to circumvent the new terms of use.

Isn't there an option to implement individual api key system like with discogs tagging? Everyone who uses lastfm feature should just enter his own last.fm api key into musicbee.

Took me 20 seconds to get api key..

https://www.last.fm/api/account/create
Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:12:41 PM by rudolph

zkhcohen

I wouldn't call this a bug. LastFM changed the terms of use for their API and you have exceeded the new limits. I doubt there's anything Steven can do legally to get around the new limits and I wouldn't expect him to try to circumvent the new terms of use.

Isn't there an option to implement individual api key system like with discogs tagging? Everyone who uses lastfm feature should just enter his own last.fm api key into musicbee.

Took me 20 seconds to get api key..

https://www.last.fm/api/account/create

Now that's a good idea.

Steven

• Administrator
i dont agree at all - i believe that will be circumventing what last.fm are intending and would only result in MusicBee being banned