Author Topic: One file keeps resyncing  (Read 1733 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I noticed on the wifi sync that one file keeps deleting/copying over and over again, even if I had just synced it. Right now it's the ONLY one, everything else is fine. I tested with a wired sync and got the same result. The date for last modified is 4-12-19.

I use "preserve folders and filenames" and just made some changes to my organization templates, so perhaps that's related. But I have plenty of other tracks with similar album/track names, so I'm not sure why this one would be different.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
can you let me know the filename and i will create a debug version

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Sure:

<User>\Music\Music\B\Bing Crosby\1944 - Is You or Is You Ain’t (Ma’ Baby)  There’ll be a Hot Time in the Town of Berlin (When the Yanks Go Marching In) [Andrews Sisters with Vic Schoen and His Orchestra] - 01 Is You or Is You Ain’t (Ma’ Baby).mp3

The double space is where in the track name there's a "/" that was removed. Now that I see it written out, maybe it's a length problem? The changes I made to the organization templates were supposed to shorten things, but this one got pretty long anyway.
Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:13:44 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
I expect that is the issue. However I had understood that android limits the filename to 255 chars (ex. the path) and the file name is less than 255 chars.
Anyway when i get time i will see if that filename is exceeding some limit but in the interim if you can shorten it then that could prove whether that is the issue.

edit:
I found this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13204807/max-file-name-length-in-android
so it looks like the limit is actually 127 chars
I do already have some code in place that trims excessive file names (currently set to 255 chars but i will reduce it to 127) but i see its not always applied for the "preserve filename" setting.

edit2:
it might also be the "["/"]" characters as well
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2679699/what-characters-allowed-in-file-names-on-android
Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:44:29 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
well i have tested using a 300 char filename that includes "[]" in the name. MB always trims it to 255 chars and it syncs fine without re-synching the next time.
I guess the behaviour might vary from device to device to i will need your feedback on whether trimming the name further helped

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'll let you know as soon as i can test it again. Thanks!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
As mentioned there was a bug where it wasnt applying a limit on the file name length for the "preserve filenames" setting.
I dont think it would have mattered in this case but just to eliminate the doubt could you use this version:

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

MCDoubleDefDP

I noticed on the wifi sync that one file keeps deleting/copying over and over again, even if I had just synced it. Right now it's the ONLY one, everything else is fine. I tested with a wired sync and got the same result. The date for last modified is 4-12-19.

I use "preserve folders and filenames" and just made some changes to my organization templates, so perhaps that's related. But I have plenty of other tracks with similar album/track names, so I'm not sure why this one would be different.

I have the same/a similar issue, but instead of a song that keeps syncing, it's a playlist. A week or so ago when I was testing for the "preserve folders and filenames" bug, I enabled the "preserve" option, changed the sync folder to a different one so it wouldn't interfere with my library, and then synced a Test.m3u playlist with a few tracks.

After my tests, I reverted the settings back to what I normally use and MusicBee deleted what isn't in the sync profile. To this day, I briefly see "Deleting Music/Unrated.m3u" (I later tested again with this playlist) for each sync, although that playlist doesn't exist on my phone or sync profile anymore. This doesn't break anything, though.

Even on the latest version of the app and the MusicBee patch from above, it doesn't appear in the error logs.