Author Topic: Album Artist: MusicBee changing tags  (Read 3701 times)

summerside1967

Hi Everyone...

New to MusicBee.  I've been very careful (and meticulous) with tagging my music.  I understand how the compilations (iTunes) tagging works.  All my compilations are tagged the same way.  Album Artist=Various Artist  Artist=track artist  and compilation checked.

I've read some posts on the forum and followed the guides and suggestions regarding the iTunes checkbox, etc...

MusicBee keeps changing the tags for Album Artist.  The Album Artist tag = Artist; Various Artists.  I checked the embedded tags and they remain Album Artist=Various Artists.

I'm stuck how to fix this.  I tried editing inside Musicbee, but once I rescan for new music it does it again.

Here's a screen shot

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q74dp19tmybwqb1/Album%20Artist%20Tag.jpg?dl=0

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dave

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Are these mp3s? Check with the tag inspector that there are not ID3.1 tags hiding in the files.

This shouldn't be related, but you don't actually need the compilation flag set if you have Album Artist written to the file. The only thing it does in MusicBee is automatically assign an album artist according to the rules in sorting/grouping preferences (and only if you have that setting activated).
Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 02:28:43 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

summerside1967

Thanks for helping.

Checked and there are no ID3.1 tags hiding (at least none that I can see).  All my music is ALAC

Here is the MusicBee tag inspector

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqw92wpabovnrt0/MusicBee%20Tag%20Inspector.jpg?dl=0

Here is tagscan of the music file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hasl6w6k7ymstl/tagscan.jpg?dl=0

Not sure why MusicBee has two Album Artists....so that would be the source of my grouping problem.  I checked a few other compilations and some just have "Various Artists" while others have the the same as the screen shot.  I checked the respective music files and they are all tagged the same way

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hmm. I wonder if it's something related to the format? Only Steven would really have a clue there.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

summerside1967

Thanks again.   Seems strange that some compilations are not altered.  I compared the tags side by side and could not find a difference.

redwing

Not sure why MusicBee has two Album Artists....so that would be the source of my grouping problem.

MB won't use "Album Artist" frame (other than "aART" frame) for writing album artist tag in mp4 format. It must be written by another program. You might want to check what action with what program in your workflow adds the specific tag to the files.

Also if you want to bulk delete a tag in a specific frame, use Tools> Tagging Tools> Remove Tags command.

summerside1967

Thanks again for your  help.  I took one of the albums that keeps getting tagged my Musicbee and re tagged it outside the program.  First I deleted it from the Musicbee library, re tagged, then reimported it.  Still the same issue when it finishes scanning.  I'm really not sure what's going on.  The majority of my compilations sort properly

redwing

As I said I don't think it has anything to do with MB. MB just shows what's already tagged.

The question is

What program wrote the first Album Artist tag in your workflow?

redwing

And if you want to delete the tag, use Tools> Tagging Tools> Remove Tags command and delete the first Album Artist tag.

summerside1967

ugh!  I think I might have figured it out.  I don't think I have sorting set up correctly.  I'll play around with it and report back.  Thanks again

summerside1967

Bingo!   Sorry I missed your earlier post.  Tagging Tools > remove Tags did the job.  Any suggestions how I can avoid this process in the future?

Thanks again.  Very appreciated

redwing

Not sure why you're using another program for such basic tagging, but if you have to, avoid writing album artist tag with it for m4a files.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
As I said I don't think it has anything to do with MB. MB just shows what's already tagged.

The question is

What program wrote the first Album Artist tag in your workflow?

Nice catch. I looked at that screenshot too, but somehow missed the second album artist.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)