Author Topic: Case-senisitve in library but not on file transfer  (Read 1434 times)

xtreme1

I'm trying to transfer files via a mounted ftp drive. The android device does not have case sensitive file naming (I think) and windows does not either. My windows library has a band saved named BAPTISTS and Baptists as the artists, and in the library they are properly saved together under the folder baptists. However, on file transfer, Musicbee takes the artist name as-is and this leads to file write errors.

The details of what it does are weird, and probably not that important to anyone else: it makes a new folder for each file, and appends the number of duplicates, so basically it tries to write to the folder Baptists when BAPTISTS already exists, sees the folder exists but instead of writing into it, makes a new folder with Baptists (1) and continues iterating - it never puts the contents of the folder inside Baptists(X), I assume because the folder doesn't match the name it was expected. Regardless, it's bad behavior, that I'm trying to correct.

The immediate solution is to just rename artists, but with a massive library that's rough to impossible. I saw there was an autotagging capitalize tool that I might try, but it still seems like whatever export logic that MusicBee already uses to create match it's library folders should be preserved on export as well.

Steven

• Administrator
MB follows the windows convention of folder/ filename uniqueness being case-insensitive, so this belongs as a wishlist request for when synching as its not implemented, although its the first time i have heard anyone with an android device say its been a problem

MCDoubleDefDP

MB follows the windows convention of folder/ filename uniqueness being case-insensitive, so this belongs as a wishlist request for when synching as its not implemented, although its the first time i have heard anyone with an android device say its been a problem
I'd like to add a +1 to that wishlist request.

MusicBee organizes my music with the following cases:

./Music/G/GMCFOSHO/2swag4clos.mp3
./Music/B/brandUn DeShay/Volume Two! for the Show/03. Astro no Me.mp3

When I sync my playlists, however, the playlists changes the cases for some, but not all, of the tracks like this:

./Music/G/gmcfosho/2swag4clos.mp3
./Music/B/brandUn DeShay/Volume Two! For the Show/03. Astro no Me.mp3

However, I've looked at all my tags and the are consistent and reflect how MusicBee organizes my music.

I was having problems with certain playlists not working in GoneMad 3.0 alpha, so I sent the dev many logs and he just found that the case-sensitivity was the cause because "Any player that isnt file based is most likely just querying the android media store to get access to the filestream to play with the stock media player api."

A few quick tests seems to suggest that I might be able to fix this by deleting all the music from my phone, ensuring the tags are all consistent in MusicBee, and then resyncing.

EDIT: I seems I still have to "clean" the tags in some way before syncing to get the correct path case to be used, so I'm not sure how I fixed it in my test sample yet.
Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:09:43 PM by MCDoubleDefDP