Author Topic: Search for Cover with Album Art Downloader  (Read 29519 times)

EnduringGuerila

Nice app... am wondering if it is capable for me to add SoundCloud on the searching for Cover... and is it possible to make it to embed the picture on the file

You can use Musicbee to embed the art into the file. I usually find the highest res cover I can, then shrink it down to around 600x600 or 700x700 pixels, save as 'tiny.jpg', then embed 'tiny.jpg' into the file using dbpoweramps ID Tag editor app.

I make the tiny file from the high res instead of downloading an additional lower res cover so that they perfectly match.
Musicbee by default cycles through showing you the cover art from the folder and the embeded art. I have since changed this so Musicbee only shows the Cover.jpg files but I continued this embed process since my server and my phone use the embeded art from the flac files.
Music Stats at Last.FM
My MusicBee Skin
My Portable MusicBee Setup (panel layout saved in \MusicBee\AppData\Saved Settings\Layouts)

sveakul

I did some experimenting with this as an external app tool within MusicBee today, ended up with this in the Parameters box after putting the path to my AAD/ AlbumArt.exe in the application path box:

Code
/ar "<Artist>" /al "<Album>" /t f /mn 300 /mx 3000 /o a- /ac /p "\Art\%artist% - %album%.%extension%"

What this does when selected from the MusicBee context menu (Send To: External Tool) is open AlbumArtDownloader, search for the selected file by its Artist/Album values, and display front covers found sorted by dimensions with a minimum of 300X300 and max of 3000X3000.  At this point, you can (among other things) choose to:

1.  Click the "diskette" logo under the cover you want, at which point it will be auto-downloaded and saved to the path specified in the parameters (in my example it would be c:\Art), named according to "artist - album" with the extension of the original file.  AAD will automatically exit after this operation.

2.  Or, instead of clicking the diskette, you can right-click the chosen cover and choose "copy", and manually exit AAD.  Then, right-click the music file within MusicBee and choose "Paste Artwork."  This will bring up the MB option to embed the cover you chose into the file, or save/link to it.  Cool!

The parameter script above was borrowed heavily from one posted in the Mp3tag forum by M3Rocket (https://community.mp3tag.de/t/how-to-use-albumartdownloader-in-tools-for-cover-art/19422), with modifications then made to function the way I wanted it to in MusicBee.
Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 12:48:39 AM by sveakul

phred

• Global Moderator
I did some experimenting with this as an external app tool within MusicBee today, ended up with this in the Parameters box after putting the path to my AAD/ AlbumArt.exe in the application path box:

Code
/ar "<Artist>" /al "<Album>" /t f /mn 300 /mx 3000 /o a- /ac /p "\Art\%artist% - %album%.%extension%"
Nicely done. And it works perfectly for the two albums I tested. Thanks for posting.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Code

That's a good tip, but you can set all this in AlbumArtDownloader's options.
Is there a benefit doing it like this?

The Incredible Boom Boom

At least for me, nothing I used to set manually in AAD would ever persist, so I use a similar line to the @sveakul's in both MP3TAG and MusicBee.

hiccup

At least for me, nothing I used to set manually in AAD would ever persist, …

That's weird.
Have you excluded AlbumArtDownloader from your AV software? ;-)
(I have never experienced issues with AAD options settings not sticking)

The Incredible Boom Boom

At least for me, nothing I used to set manually in AAD would ever persist, …

That's weird.
Have you excluded AlbumArtDownloader from your AV software? ;-)
(I have never experienced issues with AAD options settings not sticking)

I haven't, but I only open it through MB or MP3TAG now, so it's no longer an annoyance. Lol

stardepp

So for me Album Art Downloader works very reliably and error free since the beginning of 2019. I am very grateful to @EnduringGuerila for this tip.😎👍

sveakul

Good question man, haha..  Honestly,  I hadn't thought about it.  Since I had used a variation that was published at the Mp3tag forum, I just "ported" it to MusicBee.  BTW, I found out today that all the Discogs covers (among other sources) have "unknown" type values, so you want to add that to the /t "type" delimiter in addition to f (front), as in:

Code
/ar "<Artist>" /al "<Album>" /t f,u /mn 300 /mx 3000 /o a- /ac /p "\Art\%artist% - %album%.%extension%"

For newbies to AAD (like me), you can get a list of all the available switch options by running "AlbumArt.exe /?" in a command window.

Terry Walker

So for me Album Art Downloader works very reliably and error free since the beginning of 2019. I am very grateful to @EnduringGuerila for this tip.😎👍
Same here, It is really working with no annoyance with error-free as you said. I give my thanks to @EnduringGuerila as well.  :)

Johan_A_M

Good question man, haha..  Honestly,  I hadn't thought about it.  Since I had used a variation that was published at the Mp3tag forum, I just "ported" it to MusicBee.  BTW, I found out today that all the Discogs covers (among other sources) have "unknown" type values, so you want to add that to the /t "type" delimiter in addition to f (front), as in:

Code
/ar "<Artist>" /al "<Album>" /t f,u /mn 300 /mx 3000 /o a- /ac /p "\Art\%artist% - %album%.%extension%"

For newbies to AAD (like me), you can get a list of all the available switch options by running "AlbumArt.exe /?" in a command window.

Thanks for your info Sveakul! How would you go about with the parameters if you want to save the cover.jpg in the same folder as the album you're searching for? I can't find how to do this in the hydrogenaudio forum.

sveakul

Thanks for your info Sveakul! How would you go about with the parameters if you want to save the cover.jpg in the same folder as the album you're searching for? I can't find how to do this in the hydrogenaudio forum.

That's a good question!  I don't see this in the explanation of the "/p" option in the command line help.  There may be a variation of the "%FolderPath" system variable that when placed in the path would do this.  Surely one of our code gurus here can crack this?  Saving the cover art selected to the same folder as the file you right-clicked on, regardless of what folder that is.

The Incredible Boom Boom

I'm in the middle of a complete revamp of all my systems, so I don't have AAD installed, but there should be a setting in the GUI that persists even after closing.

sveakul

I'm in the middle of a complete revamp of all my systems, so I don't have AAD installed, but there should be a setting in the GUI that persists even after closing.
There is ("Save images to"), but the problem is what variables to use that will save the image into whatever folder the audio file resides in, as opposed to having to state one fixed location in either GUI setting or /p.  Mine is set for a fixed folder, entered in the GUI as " \Art\%artist% - %album%.%extension%", but Johan_A_M (and now me!) are trying to come up with a variable that would give a dynamic path folder depending on where the audio file is located.

Johan_A_M

There is ("Save images to"), but the problem is what variables to use that will save the image into whatever folder the audio file resides in, as opposed to having to state one fixed location in either GUI setting or /p.  Mine is set for a fixed folder, entered in the GUI as " \Art\%artist% - %album%.%extension%", but Johan_A_M (and now me!) are trying to come up with a variable that would give a dynamic path folder depending on where the audio file is located.

Exactly. I'm realy lousy at parameters etc, but I tried different solutions from the forum (hydrogenaudio), but they were of course all related to foobar, so I did not manage to get it to work properly.