Author Topic: Gracenote Sonic Style  (Read 3877 times)

ThY

Hello there.
Recently i have heard about Gracenote, and especially their AI based music descriptors... which blown me away.

I know that Musicbee uses Gracenote for auto-tagging, but i can't manage to get that amount of details.
To be honest, most of the time the tags are plain wrong, and "mood" tags are not even filled in.

To be clear, this is not a wishlist post, but i'd like to know if this technology is currently available in any way for us to tag our music ?
More informations here, here and here.

If i know i could get that amount of details and graphics automaticly in near future, i'll stop tagging manually right now all my music.

frankz

To be clear, this is not a wishlist post, but i'd like to know if this technology is currently available in any way for us to tag our music ?
FYI, if this was a wishlist post, I'd "+1" it.  That's cool AF.

phred

• Global Moderator
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

+1
The OP:

phred

• Global Moderator
The OP:

@hiccup- yes, I know it (wasn't) a wishlist request, but it sounded like a good idea to me and a few others that gave it a plus one, so I moved it. Then you referenced a different thread with your API comments. But I'll just leave it in wishlist for now.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

ThY

Hi.
I noticed that there are some activities on this topic, with the bump and this recent post.
So here's my feedback.

So some years ago, at the same period i created this post, i contacted Gracenote through their Facebook page (which doesn't exist anymore apparently).
Here it is:

And i came back to them one year later, they gave me the same kind of answer:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since then, i seeked for similar AI technology, and all i could find were Musimap and Musiio.

For Musimap, i got hooked with this video. (sorry it's in french)
Because they had what seemed to be a functional software achieving genre and mood tagging.
They had a database. You typed an artist / song title, and you got the different kind of tags.
You can skip to 19:50 to see that. (he ask the audience for titles)

I contacted them through Facebook, but i think their page is not active anymore, so i got no answers.

They have a tool on this web page.
And while moods are ok, the genres are ultra generic and useless.
Thus it has nothing in common with the tool showed in the video. Really nothing.

All i know it's that Musimap has been acquired by Utopia Music.
But i sense that it will be far from the initial purpose.

The guys behind Musimap had worked on something called "The World is a Mix", which is totally what i have dreamed for: an interactive map featuring the music History and genres with all their influences.
You can see it briefly in this small video (in french)
They made a website, it was (as the guy said in the video) an altruistic project; but unfortunately this website doesn't exist anymore and i never saw it.

About Musiio
They also have a demo tool on this web page.
Which is a little bit more precise on tags, but still kinda useless (for my personal use anyway).

But i think they are active and improving.
I had some mail talking with them, they were kind and responsive.
They also have a pricing page, which show that they aren't closed to non-professional uses.
You can pay depending on the number of tag types you choose, and on the number of tracks you analyse.
So let's say you want genres and moods, it's 0.04$ per track.
So for 10.000 tracks (already a pretty solid music library imho), it's 400$

I would pay for that without hesitation if their taxonomy and precision was as rich as this picture:

Or as rich as Sonemic genres tree.

They also have a price for an API, but it's 375€ / month + the per track price above.
I don't see how it could be implemented to MusicBee, but anyway (for me) the product accuracy and richness is too low right now.

hiccup

So here's my feedback.
Wow, you really put in some effort here.
Thanks for sharing, interesting stuff.