Author Topic: Sync: underlying files missing in MB should not be removed from the device  (Read 1424 times)

klint

Today, it seems that when a track has to be synced with the device, but when the underlying file has been deleted from the PC (not the entry in the MB database, just the file), it seems that MB considers that the track is not to be synced at all and removes the same file from the device. Do you confirm that it is like that? I haven't tested thoroughly, but it seemed to have behaved like that for a few files recently.

If so, could the behaviour be changed? Because it means that not only the file was deleted on PC side (by accident for instance...), but also that the only backup copy of it, the one on the device, will be deleted as well.

Actually, it could even be better if such track was listed in the Sync preview/log (ignored in the sync, but listed), so that the user can take action on the missing files on the PC.

Thanks

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Today, it seems that when a track has to be synced with the device, but when the underlying file has been deleted from the PC (not the entry in the MB database, just the file), it seems that MB considers that the track is not to be synced at all and removes the same file from the device. Do you confirm that it is like that? I haven't tested thoroughly, but it seemed to have behaved like that for a few files recently.

If so, could the behaviour be changed? Because it means that not only the file was deleted on PC side (by accident for instance...), but also that the only backup copy of it, the one on the device, will be deleted as well.

Actually, it could even be better if such track was listed in the Sync preview/log (ignored in the sync, but listed), so that the user can take action on the missing files on the PC.

I think this has been discussed before, and the way it is now, at least for myself, is that MB should always be your MAIN library, and everything else should be a backup or copy, hence it has been said that the term "sync" should be replaced by the term "mirror".

If, for example, I had removed a number of junk tracks from my main MB library because I never really liked them, and then later during a "sync" the junk had been reintroduced back into my library....Well!

I can see what you're saying here, but if any of my tracks had been accidentally or otherwise deleted, then assuming I eventually noticed, I would go to my other PC, USB HDD, BT Cloud or Google Music and grab them back!

What say you all?

klint

Thanks for your reply. Let me comment on it.

If, for example, I had removed a number of junk tracks from my main MB library because I never really liked them, and then later during a "sync" the junk had been reintroduced back into my library....Well!
This is different situation, I think: I did not remove any tracks from MB (the tracks are still listed in MB and part of playlists to be synced). But the underlying files were deleted for any reason, by accident mostly (MB bug or awkward usage like a portable install on a SD card, or an unvoluntary deletion by the user), and without me being aware of it, that's the whole point.

I can see what you're saying here, but if any of my tracks had been accidentally or otherwise deleted, then assuming I eventually noticed, I would go to my other PC, USB HDD, BT Cloud or Google Music and grab them back!
The problem is that I wouldn't have even noticed that the underlying files had disappeared in MB if I hadn't scrutinized the sync previow log, wondering why this file would be deleted from the device, or even worse, why that file that I just had added to the playlist would not appear in the preview at all... because their underlying files were missing. Having a message in the log saying "missing file on PC" for both cases would have helped me a lot. Then I could have stopped the sync and solved the issue.

So, actually, if really the sync behaviour itself cannot be changed, it would already help a lot if in these 2 cases (a new track to be synced or an already synced track, both without any file on the PC), the sync log could display an entry with an explicit warning message.

I hope this clarifies :)

And by the way, an option to activate the "Sync" button only when the "Preview" is done first, would help a lot as well, but that is more a wish I have to file in the right section of the forum :P [EDIT: done]

Thank you
Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:07:49 PM by klint

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
The problem is that I wouldn't have even noticed that the underlying files had disappeared in MB if I hadn't scrutinized the sync previow log, wondering why this file would be deleted from the device, or even worse, why that file that I just had added to the playlist would not appear in the preview at all... because their underlying files were missing. Having a message in the log saying "missing file on PC" for both cases would have helped me a lot. Then I could have stopped the sync and solved the issue.

An excellent argument of point, however, If I sync my phone, on a Monday, and I play, lets say 50 tracks (like today), whilst on the move, and continue similar all week, I could have played 250 tracks, so that if and when 2 way syncing is introduced, that could be 500+ new tracks in one of my "to be synced" playlists, and as they are all Auto-playlist, then the "Last played is not in the last 60 days" criteria will kick in thus creating a vast change and 'preview' list.. ??
Two weeks between sync if on holiday? Either way, could be a nightmare to code. I'm sure @Steven will come up with something!

Best regards: Freddy