The device does not need to be rooted.
Again, it really looks like you don't have the latest versions of BOTH the app and MB.
If you are indeed running the latest versions
- Have you run at least one wired sync between MB and the device?
- After the wired sync have you enabled 'wifi transfer' in device preferences?
I've installed both versions Steven linked as latest, a few posts before. App Version is 0.5.7.
1. I tried with older/official app version. I grant Access to my phone.
2. I tried Wi-Fi sync and get message "Run wired sync first". Connected my phone and let it pass the firewall. MB shows Nokia 8 and I enabled WiFi for Android. I made a wired sync and it works.
3. I disconnected USB and tried Wi-Fi sync again. I get message
"Run wired sync first" again and nothing happend.
4. I installed version 0.5.7, cleaned cache. Did wired sync again, which worked. Tried Wi-Fi sync again and nothing happend.
I don't get behind the screen, where I can choose between internal and external memory. I don't have a settings button at this screen, so I can't tell MB, that TA-1012 is Nokia 8. The only thing, I didn't try is to reinstall MB on my desktop.