Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 319814 times)

Dzib

Hi there!
I am getting an error while trying to sync my PC with Xiaomi 12 Pro. There is message "MusicBee can't match the device name to an existing configuration. Enter the device name that is displayed in MusicBee:". I think that the problem is in technical naming of my device. While MusicBee on my PC identify it as "Xiaomi 12 Pro", MusicBee Wifi Sync says that its name is "2201122G". I tried to enter "Xiaomi 12 Pro" into the input field, but it doesn't work for me. Also I already tried to reinstall both apps on PC and android device, delete device on PC and do a wire-sync again, so I have no idea what should I do next

I have the exact same error with Xiaomi Redmi Note 12S, but it was working fine with my Redmi Note 8 Pro

Edit 1: Looks like that on some phone models, the device model is used instead of the device name, so Musicbee is creating a device "profile" based on the device name while the wifi app is using the device model, so it can't work. A solution would be to be able to change de device name in Musicbee to match the one in the app, is it possible ?

Edit 2: It's working !!!! Juste changed the name of the device in MusicBee3Settings.ini (under Device - DeviceSettings) to match the model of the phone.
Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 02:09:06 PM by Dzib

phred

• Global Moderator
Using MB v3.5.8659 P

I've been using Steven's WiFi Sync app ever since it was introduced. A while ago my Galaxy  S22 updated to Android OS 13 and the WiFi sync app continued to work flawlessly.

This past weekend the phone died and I was sent I replacement. Everything is the same (including the model number (SM-S901U)) but the sync app now does not work. I get the dreaded "Can't use this folder" error. I downloaded and installed the "new" complied apk and started a sync which resulted in a lot of these in the sync error log.
Code
java.net.SocketException:java.net.SocketTimeoutException:Read timed out

In the MB error log each file that was attempted to transfer threw a "I/O error occurred. What was even weirder was the MB's status bar showed that the sync had completed successfully. Even though nothing was transferred.

Needless to say (but I'm going to say it anyway)  I'd really like to get this working and ideally using the S22's root folder.

Any ideas?
Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 09:30:42 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Dzib

How did you fix the "can't use this folder" error ?

phred

• Global Moderator
How did you fix the "can't use this folder" error ?
If I recall, using the new, compiled apk took care of that.

For the record I'm on the third day of (almost) non-stop configuring the replacement phone. With this particular issue I tried a lot of things so I may be getting mixed up in the sequence and/or results.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Dzib

The apk on the last page? That's the one I used but without success unfortunately

phred

• Global Moderator

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Guapdad

The My Files app on android won't allow me to do a two way wifi sync. Saying I need to select the SD card root folder and not one of it's sub folders. From what I've read here in the forum this doesn't look like it will be fixed anytime soon. At least until google decides to let us have write permission on our own devices.

Wondering if we could get around this by using as an alternate file management app. The wifi sync app defaults to using the android file management. Any chance we could add an option to select the file management app we want to use for wifi sync?

sibilla6

Seconding what Guapdad said. I have a new Samsung phone and I tried the apk from this thread and when I try to preview it asks for me to choose the root folder through the default file manager, which blocks it by saying "to protect your privacy, choose another folder". I don't want to have to root my phone for this and create all sorts of trouble, please let us use another folder or another file manager.

ry49

Same here on my Pixel 8 Android 14 :'(
Seconding what Guapdad said. I have a new Samsung phone and I tried the apk from this thread and when I try to preview it asks for me to choose the root folder through the default file manager, which blocks it by saying "to protect your privacy, choose another folder". I don't want to have to root my phone for this and create all sorts of trouble, please let us use another folder or another file manager.

sageleader

Confirming as well that the Wifi Sync app isn't working on Pixel 8 Pro (Android 14). I tried the stock app as well as the APK someone modified here. Even with the All Files Access setting enabled I still am unable to select the root folder. Yes I have restarted.

Squabsy

No that doesn't work on Android 14 ... was working fine with a version I built re the previous instructions but now I've upgraded to 14 I'm getting the SDcard error on all builds I've tried (knew I shouldn't have updated) I'm on a pixel 4a 5g if thats relevant

bigdenver

Just FYI - my LG V60 is running Android 13 and the new APK does not work.  Same SD file access error.

Xeknos

Hello,

Echoing this. With the recent Samsung Galaxy S23+ update to Android 14, the current APK no longer works. Possible to update so its compatible with 14? Are there other workarounds?
Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 09:01:18 PM by Xeknos

MrVain712

Hello,

Echoing this. With the recent Samsung Galaxy S23+ update to Android 14, the current APK no longer works. Possible to update so its compatible with 14? Are there other workarounds?

I have the same problem :( :(