Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 319953 times)

Shougun

So I've tried Syncthing- and I can get my ratings to update from my phone to my computer, checking the metadata shows the changes in ratings.. but for some reason MusicBee does not seem to care if the file has had rating changes (no changes are represented in the program). Even if I right click send to rescan.

Any tips for that?

(noting again windows OS can see the rating under properties, so I can confirm that at least the file is being updated)

UPDATE:

I might have found out what is part of the problem but I need help to fix it lol.. Looks like all changes are getting sent to inbox as 'duplicates', there are no duplicates literally (if you go to the folder there is only one) but.. the rating changes appear to be sent there. How can I get them to pass through smoothly?

UPDATEx2:

Tried to send to library to see what happened. Apparently it sent it to a folder in my library called music library, which was organized as it's own library.. @_@

Seems like I have some setting wrong and never noticed before because I normally drop stuff into the right folder rather than using send to. Do I need to make a new library or something?

Updatex3:

I think using the relocation tool made some horrible mistakes in my library, probably at my accidental direction, that I never noticed due to the inbox system, and syncthing laid them very bare. If everything is smooth I will update again, I have a feeling syncthing will be one of the better options to update the library if the APP is having troubles. Will check if playcounts update, but I can say at least ratings do.

Updatex4: @_@

So after a lot of cleaning I believe my library has been un-fubar'd and the syncthing is working well. Probably drains a decent amount of battery, but the response time is really fast.. One caveat is to get the new ratings you have to have MusicBee rescan the file or close / open. Doesn't update playcount, could just be the GMMP doesn't write playcount tag though.

Anyway if you can't get the MusicBee app to work and want your ratings to sync, try syncthing, and if it all goes haywire it's probably because of some issues with how the library is setup.

Udpatex5: Still working so far. Definitely not getting playcount via syncthing but you can get it from last.fm / scrobbling apps if you really wanted. Used Anti-Twin to help clean up the library and then also the internal duplicate system after that.
Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 10:12:48 PM by Shougun

ome-reily

Shougun, have you tested if you can sync playlists with this setup? Also how long does the sync with syncthing take you? Thinking about using this since the wifi sync app is no longer working.

Shougun

Sorry for late reply, seems to work rather quickly. Turn my computer on, syncthing (GUI) is autostart, phone has it running in the background, basically when I get to musicbee it's all been done.

Two way sync of files, things that are stored in the file that convince the program that something has changed. I don't think GMMP writes everything to file, so like playcount I'm fairly certain is stored just in GMMP's database, probably tag changes too, so.. do that stuff on your PC lol. Avoid conflicts by ensuring you don't change a file prior to the phone and PC match.

Have not tried playlists, but honestly I don't see why not so long as both GMMP and MusicBee agree on file type. If MusicBee stores a file then syncthing could pick it up, and if GMMP writes changes to the playlist then you'd get those back the other way. Now I've never used GMMP playlists, but a quick google makes me think it's worth a shot: https://www.reddit.com/r/gonemadmusicplayer/comments/btr3b4/playlist_options/

Only hurdle you might have is if your phone has goofy file setting permissions, may need to slap the phone a few times and tell it you're the captain. For reference my phone is not rooted, but I did have to tell it "no, I want it to access my stuff- shut up" lol.

dalenyd

I only compiled this last night, so I've only tested this on my Android 13 Pixel 4a.  It worked perfectly.

Here is my compiled APK VirusTotal Scan

Instructions (on a Pixel 4a, Android 13 anyway):
  • Uninstall existing version of the app if installed
  • Download APK on the device
  • Open the APK, usually from the notification that the file is downloaded (might also need to give Install unknown apps permissions for your browser)
  • Select to Install from the Package Installer window
  • If you get "Unsafe app blocked" from Google Play Protect, choose More details, then choose Install Anyway
  • Once installed, choose Open
  • The "All files access permission" window should open, choose MusicBee Wifi Sync
  • Select the Allow access to manage all files toggle
  • Press the back button at the top corner
  • Press the back button at the corner again
  • You should now be in the app and can choose your server/PC

Thank you for compiling and posting the APK! I tried it, and it did work (it was syncing), but I've noticed that the playcounts were not changing. Am I doing something wrong?

boroda

@dalenyd, which android music player are you using?

dalenyd

@dalenyd, which android music player are you using?

Hi Boroda, I am using poweramp.

dalenyd

Update: I think I might have a solution to Andriod 13 not letting Musicbee Wifi Sync access the root folder.  And it’s still the old mixplorer solution (which you need to purchase for USD 5).  I reached out to mixplorer with my problem of not seeing the mixplorer panel giving me access when I launch Musicbee Wifi sync and Andriod telling me that “to protect your privacy, choose another folder.”  Here are the steps:
1.   Open Mixplorer
2.   Go to Settings > Components
3.   Enable Document Provider (all are enabled by default except this one)
4.   Restart phone (I don’t know if this is necessary, but the first time I did it, it was not working so I just restarted my phone).
The system file picker panel should be in Musicbee Wifi Sync (or any other app)
I was going crazy trying to figure this out because Musicbee has been my go to music library since my Ipod Classic died and I had to find an Andriod solution to sync my 80 GB music collection (with carefully crafted playlists over the years). 

Kartoffelbrei

Out of principle: always and most definitely. ;D In case the files get deleted during the process you could make a backup of the transcoded files so you dont have to sync again in case you already did a run. There is always room for fuckups.
Just fyi. in the end i ran into too many problems with the app and now i am using the alternative "indirect method" with a secondary transcoded library and resilio. So far im quite happy with this solution. https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Synchronize_Android_by_Wifi
Setup was easy. Except the fact that i didnt know i had to deselct "selective sync" for resilio to do something.
I realized that this will not work. I don't just sync my entire library, I just sync playlists. If a song is added to a playlist or I add a new playlist then the wifi sync usually adds the missing songs onto my phone, unfortunately resilio doesn't seem to be able to sync playlists.

this plugin is able to. it uses resilio as for real syncing, but also generates proper playlists for mobile devices.
Hello,
I downloaded the MusicBee Plugin. When i sync to the sync links device it just copies the files. Not with links. I didnt change anything about the settings. How come?

boroda

not sure what you mean by "links". playlists? have you set up syncing of playlists?

settings in red boxes are required, in blue box are optional:

Joemd

Is there an idiots guide to the wifi sync or something as I don't really understand what it's doing/ how it works. When I try to sync none of my playlists on my phone (using GoneMad) copy over (I receive quite a lot of "playlit files not matched in MusicBee error messages) and playlists from my computer don't seem to copy to my phone. I'm at a loss as how to have it all work.

MrVain712

Hello @all,

i have the problem again that i can sync between Android 13 and my Computer since i use a new Router.
I dont change settings in Musicbee but every Time i get now the message: "Server not found. Ensure MusicBee is running and Windows Firewall is not blocking MusicBee."

MusicBee IS running an Windows Firewall i OFF.

I restart my computer several times and my Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S23+) too... What can i do? :(
What i dont understand in the MusicBee Wifi Sync App Error log is the message:
"failed to connect to 192.168.178.77 from 192.168.178.45...

But the IPs of my Computer is... 192.168.178.52 and not 192.168.178.77... Maybe i can change this?

boroda

i vaguely recall that IP of the phone and PC must be 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.*

try to change the IP address range on your router.

glimpsefamerule

Just wanted to check in and mention that the Wifi Sync appears to fail if a filename contains an emoji. I was trying to sync a playlist that contained the track below, but the sync would keep failing before the filename could appear in the progress updated during the sync mode on the Wifi Sync app.

https://nmesh.bandcamp.com/album/--3

It's strange because I have a few other songs that contain emoji that seem to sync fine. Not sure if there's something in particular about this one.

ome-reily

So has anyone compiled, or can anyone compile a set of instructions for how to get syncthing working with Android and musicbee? Since the apk for the wifi sync above no long works (as I have posted about in other threads).

I'm reading through the forum and some people seem to have this figured out but it's confusing.

boroda

this (modified, not by me) apk version is working fine for me:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2wr29jjboqpqjhq/MusicBee_Wifi_Sync_Android_13.apk/file

sorry, i don't remember which form member has prepared this version and where i have downloaded it from.