Author Topic: Wifi android device synching  (Read 307538 times)

Steven

• Administrator
One-way Wifi sync is now available for Android 5+ devices

The app is available for beta testing at
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.getmusicbee.musicbeewifisync

You need MusicBee v3.3.7014+
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=27074.msg155944#new

Instructions:
- In the MusicBee Device preferences panel, tick the "enable Wifi transfer with Android devices"
- make sure you allow MusicBee when windows firewall prompts
- on your Android device, run the Wifi sync app
- select whether you want to sync to your Internal memory or to an external SD Card (if available)
- then click "Locate Server"
- MusicBee must be running for this to work and windows firewall permission granted
- you only need to do this once
- only connections from your private network are supported
- the app error log can be viewed from the action bar/ Error Log menu item

---------------
I am doing some research into Wifi synching with android devices and also want to investigate the possibility of 2-way synching with some of the popular android players. Not promising anything but what I want to know is for the people interested in this, which android player do you use?
Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:48:08 PM by Steven

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I am doing some research into Wifi synching with android devices and also want to investigate the possibility of 2-way synching with some of the popular android players. Not promising anything but what I want to know is for the people interested in this, which android player do you use?

I've stuck with the Media Monkey Android player as it's always worked good for me.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think several of us use GMMP
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
Do you know if it provides a way for an external application to retrieve ratings/ playcounts/ tags?
I'll try contacting the dev on http://gonemadmusicplayer.proboards.com

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm one of those users.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Seems I'm  stil a Beta tester for Rocket Player from JRT studios, who also have a WiFi sync with iTunes App.
The developer (in Texas) was always quick to fix any issues, is:-

Justin Tipton - [email protected]
https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=8177774334723216869
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:01:19 PM by Freddy Barker

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Do you know if it provides a way for an external application to retrieve ratings/ playcounts/ tags?
I'll try contacting the dev on http://gonemadmusicplayer.proboards.com

I know it talks to Simple Last.fm Scrobbler and some other scrobbling apps. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

railfan-eric28

I would love wifi syncing.   I used iSyncr to sync wirelessly from itunes to my devices even while laying in bed in the other room.   But can't use it with musicbee.   I use Poweramp mostly but have Playerpro, Blackplayer, Jet Audio, and others that i have used or purchased before.   I also have Rocket Player but don't use it.   It will work with isyncr to sync ratings to and from itunes or something like that.   but poweramp doesn't use ratings from other players.   The dev only has the ratings for poweramp only.   I believe Player Pro and Jet Audio will let you select what ratings system you want to use such as isyncr.   maybe one of the devs would allow ratings from Musicbee if approached. 
I'm using a Galaxy S21, Galaxy 9+, Galaxy S7, a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Poweramp, and Musicbee.

klint

I'm using Rocket Player Beta as well (and I'd ready to use their iSyncr apps if needed to sync over wifi).
And I agree that Justin Tipton is quite reactive.
Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:24:05 AM by klint

Steven

• Administrator
An update on this. I have implemented one way synch over Wifi now with a MusicBee synch app that runs on the android phone. It seems (at least for my Wifi setup) to be much faster than MTP transfer. Also it doesnt have the long stall that MTP does after deleting files.
Once I have tested this thoughly and am comfortable it is reliable then I will release it on the play store as I think just those improvements alone justify it (the release process is all new to me so it might take some time)

After that I will then look at implementing 2-way synch if i can get the co-operation of any of the mobile player developers

phred

• Global Moderator
Great news, Steven. I look forward to trying out the WiFi Sync from MB to my two Android devices, both of which are running GMMP.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
SWEET, looking forward to this!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

railfan-eric28

An update on this. I have implemented one way synch over Wifi now with a MusicBee synch app that runs on the android phone. It seems (at least for my Wifi setup) to be much faster than MTP transfer. Also it doesnt have the long stall that MTP does after deleting files.
Once I have tested this thoughly and am comfortable it is reliable then I will release it on the play store as I think just those improvements alone justify it (the release process is all new to me so it might take some time)

After that I will then look at implementing 2-way synch if i can get the co-operation of any of the mobile player developers

sweet that sounds awesome.   is that long stall after file deleting something to do with my galaxy tab s 8.4 losing the MicroSD card from the computer?  I can drag and drop files with windows explorer or let it just sit idle and it stays connected in windows but everytime I try to sync with musicbee the computer loses the connection to the SD card before sync is completed .  So i have to babysit the darn thing till it gets synced the rest of the way.   btw Musicbee isn't reading my devices after sync or  failed sync again.   I have to close it out and reconnect the device to get it to read into MB.  Unless you fixed it again in recent versions.   I hadn't updated it for a few weeks.
I'm using a Galaxy S21, Galaxy 9+, Galaxy S7, a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Poweramp, and Musicbee.

zkhcohen

This is really awesome! Thank you for implementing this. Please please, if you manage to get 2-way sync enabled, make it optional. I've had too many bad experiences with accidental deletion.