Author Topic: Large Library - Problems getting all in  (Read 2324 times)

netbuster

Hi,
newbie here. Have tried MusicBee before but went back to Foobar2000 and considering doing that again.
Love the layout, more features than Foobar BUT I have issues with my library.

All files are correctly tagged, mostly FLAC, some WAV, lots of 24bits, no MP3 crap so my 13.400 records needs 8.5 TB (half of the server used). The server (a Synology NAS) is only for music nothing else on it and in perfect shape.

Foobar finds all tracks but MusicBee doesn't. In some cases a few tracks are missing in others the entire album (700 albums more in Foobar). Over 150.000 tracks in the Inbox which seems not to go into the Library.

Uninstalled MusicBee today to see if it would re scan after installing it again but I assume it keeps some .ini files somewhere? No change.

Have tried scan on Start Up or Continuously but that makes no difference neither does add to library/inbox.

I had a look at Roon but my AVM media player will not support that so on my PC MusicBee seems to be the closest thing with great features and nice layout but it needs to get all my tracks and albums.

So, if anyone has some ideas and tips - highly appreciated
Thanks

frankz

What do the files that are not found have in common?  You go into great detail about the types of files you have, but you don't mention anything about the files that aren't working, which would be kind of useful in figuring out why it's not working the way you think it should be.

If files are in your Inbox, they're obviously not in the library.  They can be added to the library via right-clicking them and sending them there.  In the future, you can avoid the Inbox entirely by setting your files to go directly into your library manually from the scan dialog or in Edit->Edit Preferences->Library for monitored folders.

It's possible MB detected your files as duplicates and you've got it set up to hide duplicates.  You can check detected duplicates and manage them under Tools->Manage Duplicates.

Otherwise, without more information about what's happening, it would be nearly impossible to figure out why it's happening.

netbuster

Wow, that was quick - appreciated.
Can't really find a common denominator - as I said, almost only FLAC and all properly tagged.
However, I did manage to get most of the files out of the Inbox - tried it many times but gave up when I thought it hung, but having better control over the ones with the blue exclamation mark made things better- Down to less the 5000 missing songs now (or at least the ones that ended up in the Inbox)

There are still some songs that are missing both in the Inbox and the library from albums that are in the library (but hence incomplete).
I had one album in the library that were missing two songs - they were put in another album of same name in the library but were blanks. However all of the songs were in the Inbox among the last 5000 with blue exclamation marks? Quite a few of the songs in the Inbox with the blue exclamation mark is already in the library.

I can pick them up one by one when MusicBee asks me to find them and then drop them in the library but for 5000 that's a non-worker.

Also, I do monitor my Music server in Preferences but that doesn't seem to work so well. However a drag and drop from Windows Explorer into the library works OK for new records added but I need to get all the ones that are there now.

What I do not understand is that even after a Rescan - albums that are in the library are still incomplete.
Not sure I given you the info you need - hope so.
All the best

Steven

• Administrator
can you send a link to a zip to one or more of the files that wont load

netbuster

I will look into this more tomorrow. Need to be sure why some tracks seems to work, can be dropped straight into the library, some needs to go via the inbox, if I drop an entire album again (if it is incomplete) duplicates are created and when deleting them I am back to the previous tracks - all the new ones got taken away even the non-duplicates.

So I need to come back tomorrow with a more thorough investigation.

Thanks for all your input so far

frankz

Just as a tip, I've always used the built-in facilities to add music to my library (File->Scan Folders for New Files) and have never had a problem.  Automatic things like monitoring and organization make me nervous because doing automatic things on large selections almost always results in unintended consequences.

Granted, my entire library is "MP3 crap" so YMMV.

netbuster

Frankz, fully agree about the automation, its always scary with large collections, especially if you are changing player. And I deserved the note about dissing MP3 - when you are being helpful. Sorry

frankz

Ha - when you dissed MP3 I wasn't being helpful yet.  ;D

No harm done.

netbuster

...I am back
It is hard to find a pattern. For example had a track with a blue exclamation mark in inbox that didn't get added to the library when dragged there. Added it again from the server to the inbox, now both with blue exclamation marks but the new one updates the library when added.
I do not think anything is wrong with my files - haven't find one I can't get in but I need a good way to update. No stranger to a complete re-scan if needed. But how do I make a full re-scan from scratch?

netbuster

As requested here is a track that didn't end up in the library at the initial scan but no problem getting it in at a second try  https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmvcry04b8vg0g1/03.%20Curtis%20Mayfield%20-%20Freddie%27s%20Dead.flac?dl=0
I choose this one because one of the latest records that the automatic update tried was the same album but in SACD format and the same track is missing there (along with others)

Steven

• Administrator

frankz

No stranger to a complete re-scan if needed. But how do I make a full re-scan from scratch?
Just create a new library (File->Library->Create New Library) in a new folder.  That way, if it works, great, you can use the new one and delete the original one.  If it's no different, you can go back to the original library and try to work on it some more and delete the new one.

netbuster

...we are getting somewhere with the new library.
MusicBee is now scanning 186.614 (done 10.000 so far) items so it will take so time. If they all go in we are good because that number is more or less the same as the one on my server. Keeping fingers crossed

netbuster

Done!
Thanks for all the assistance - it now seems to be working fine.
Again, MusicBee has so many extra features over Foobar I am really glad to get it working. Sort albums by year - lovely...

Not sure how to delete the old libraries but that I can figure out later. Added a few more albums and updating went fast straight into the library without going through the inbox.

While we are at it - I guess no one has an idea on how to use MusicBee by the computer and playing via upnp/network the same stream on another unit simultaneously? Been testing ASIO and other stuff without any luck. The best I could get was picking up the Foobar stream being played at my computer by my media player - but with about 2 seconds delay so that was unbearable.