Author Topic: A mirroring app for IOS or android  (Read 2219 times)

chatham

A mirroring app for IOS or android would be great.  I have a lot of get togethers and people are always asking about my music collection.  presently around 5400 albums 680 gig.  they want to know if I have this or that?  it would be great to hand them my iPhone, ipad or Samsung tablet and let them scroll, search and play what they want without having to open up the computer. 

thank you for a great music program absolutely love it.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
A mirroring app for IOS or android would be great.  I have a lot of get togethers and people are always asking about my music collection.  presently around 5400 albums 680 gig.  they want to know if I have this or that?  it would be great to hand them my iPhone, ipad or Samsung tablet and let them scroll, search and play what they want without having to open up the computer.  

thank you for a great music program absolutely love it.

Have you tried the MusicBee Remote for Android?

https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/75/musicbee-remote-plugin/
Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:02:20 AM by psychoadept

chatham

thank you for the info.  I was able to get it up and operation.  while I appreciate the effort it doesn't really work all that well.  it can play tunes fine if you can find them through the remote interface but it has a host of problems/idiosyncrasies that make it hard to use or even worthwhile.  again I appreciate the effort just being honest.  if anyone is interested would be happy to list the issues as I see them.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Has been working fine for myself on 3 Android devices, for over a year, never had a problem....
What issues are you encountering?
Freddy

chatham

Here are the few issues that I have with the mobile app

1.   Does not stay connected to the PC app.  When I want to use it I have to reconnect it through preferences on the PC app kind of annoying.

2.   When you go to the library screen on the mobile app it always starts with the genre screen.  I would prefer that it start with artist.  Who really selects music play based on genre?

3.   Under the artist screen of the mobile app it is a total mess.  It lists every artist on every song in your music collection.  This is a problem.  I have my collection organized by artist so each artist has their albums under them.  However an artist might be on another album (Christmas compilation) or guest on another artist’s album.  This is where the problem comes from.  I suspect that the mobile app finds every tag of an artist and list them as that artist.  For example I have Amy Grant but the mobile app lists Amy Grant and Amy Grant;(insert other artist name here) so I end up having around twenty listing of Amy Grant.  The reality is I only have one Amy Grant folder in my collection but she might be on other albums.  So the tagging is an issue.  It is not how I have my collection organized on the PC.  This makes searching through and finding what you really want very arduous.

4.   If I find Amy and want to play only her albums I can’t just select Amy and start play.  Once I select Amy I then get every album she is on whether it is just her album or she is on someone else album or compilation.  Again this is a problem as they are not just her albums but any albums she is on.  I then have to select which album I want to play, again it doesn’t start playing automatically like the PC app, I have to select a song and it will only play that song not the entire album.

5.   You cannot play an album from the mobile app.  It will play the first song, or whichever song you select, but it will not play the entire album.  It only plays the one song then stops.  It will not move to the next song.  However, if you start the album play from the PC the mobile app it will play the entire album and will allow you to move to the next song or fast forward.

6.   As best as I can tell it will only play one song at a time when you start play from the mobile app.  However, if you start play from the PC it does work a little better.  You can select an artist from PC start play and the mobile app will let you fast forward to the next song but you can’t jump to the last song or the next album, you can only fast forward through that album or on to the next album if there is one.  When you have finished the last song on the last album it stops.

7.   It does keep playing if you have auto DJ on and it allows you to fast forward to the next track in auto DJ mode.

8.   Lack of album art on the album or artist library pages.  It only shows album art on the home screen or now playing screen.

9.   Again, if you start play from the PC it does work better but once you try and take control on the mobile app it only allows you to play one song at a time.

These are the main issues I have found so far.  Perhaps there are more and perhaps I don’t understand how it works.

But basically it is, as best I can tell, great for trying to find a song and playing that song and only that song.  This is why I was wishing for an app that would mirror the PC app and respond accordingly.  I could then navigate and play as I would on the PC except do it in my hand.

Cheers

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
4. If I find Amy and want to play only her albums I can’t just select Amy and start play.  Once I select Amy I then get every album she is on whether it is just her album or she is on someone else album or compilation.  Again this is a problem as they are not just her albums but any albums she is on.  I then have to select which album I want to play, again it doesn’t start playing automatically like the PC app, I have to select a song and it will only play that song not the entire album.

6. As best as I can tell it will only play one song at a time when you start play from the mobile app.  However, if you start play from the PC it does work a little better.  You can select an artist from PC start play and the mobile app will let you fast forward to the next song but you can’t jump to the last song or the next album, you can only fast forward through that album or on to the next album if there is one.  When you have finished the last song on the last album it stops.

8. Lack of album art on the album or artist library pages.  It only shows album art on the home screen or now playing screen.

9. Again, if you start play from the PC it does work better but once you try and take control on the mobile app it only allows you to play one song at a time.

OMG - you do seem to be having a few problems - most of which I have never noticed or encountered.
As for 4. 6. and 9.-  I only ever launch playback by clicking on a Playlist.
8. is probably deliberate to cut down on MB to Remote App traffic..

The author @kelsos of the Remote Plugin drops by the Forums every so often, so may respond to your issues..

Or you could search Remote.Pugins Forum:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7221.msg41401#msg41401
Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:07:07 PM by Freddy Barker

chatham

dandepeched

You can now control MusicBee with Remote application for iOS devices.
Download on the App Store

It uses the same MusicBee Remote plugin as Android application - https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/199/musicbee-remote-for-ios/

First version contains only basic control functionality, but I'm planning to extend it to match Android application, so keep an eye on it  ;)

Topic to discuss iOS application - https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=29413
Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:22:44 AM by dandepeched