Author Topic: Multiple Genres - Tagging Issue  (Read 2455 times)

tdtd

Hi,

I've just started syncing my library to Poweramp. Annoyingly it doesn't respect my multiple genres and instead shows a colon between them eg. Alternative: New Wave.

I always apply multiple tags by typing in the genres with a semi-colon in between, I can see from Poweramp's help that they respect this format.

HOWEVER I've just noticed that MusicBee saves these to the tags in this format: 'Alternative\\New Wave'.

Is there any way to prevent this, and to instead to add semi-colon's to the tags as they are written in MusicBee?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Where are you seeing the // formatting from MusicBee? I've never seen that. What do you find if you look at the tags in MusicBee's tag inspector?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

tdtd

Hi psychoadept,

It's strange - I'm seeing it in MP3tag, it shows as 2 backward slashes eg. 'Alternative\\New Wave' - however it does seem to show the semi-colon in the windows tag inspector.

What's even stranger is that when I correct the tag in MP3tag, it works on Poweramp, even though it remains the same to the Windows Explorer tag.

In MusicBee tag inspector the genres are each displayed on a different line, eg. Genre: Alternative / Genre: New Wave

Cheers

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

In MusicBee tag inspector the genres are each displayed on a different line, eg. Genre: Alternative / Genre: New Wave

That's kind of what I expected. What's happening is that MusicBee is (correctly) entering them as actual multi-value tags, meaning each value is saved separately. There's no semicolon in the file; there's nothing in the file because they're separate. But that leaves it up to each program how to display multiple values to the user. MusicBee and Windows use the semicolon, mp3tag uses \\, and apparently poweramp uses a colon.

I'd almost forgotten, this has come up before. It's a poweramp issue: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25230.0.  Apparently it's been around for 5 years: https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/5908-issues-with-multiple-genres-in-tags/
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

tdtd

Ah that makes total sense, thanks for clarifying!

Do you know if there is any way to add the tag within MusicBee to the file as 'Alternative; New Wave' rather than multiple entries or does this have to be done with external software each time?

Thanks again

boroda

you can replace genre tag by genre category while syncing (see device settings).