Author Topic: Join the same but different spelled Genres into one Node in Library Explorer  (Read 7779 times)

VX

I think this little enhancement would be extremely useful for Track Browser in Main Panel as well.

To realize the problem with the current settings, tick Show Library Explorer in Navigator Panel on the left and sort by Genre/ Album Artist / Album. What you can see after the settings is applied is nodes like this:

40's
40s
50's
50s
60's
60s
70's
70s
80's
80s
90's
90s
Chanson
Chanson Francaise
French
Power Pop
Powerpop

As a result the list of genres in Library Explorer and Track Browser in Main Panel is much too long and harder to use.

Joining the same but different spelled Genres into one Node would be very appreciated.

The next step for Genres view in Library Explorer would be to sort tracks by Genre Categories Node:
Compare:

Category Node: Pop, Genre SubNode : - Pop Rock
                                                                - Power Pop

Rock   - Alternative Rock
                                                     - Classic Rock
                                                     - Metal
                                                     - Progressive Rock
                                                      - Punk Rock
                                                      - Rock
                                                       - Soft Rock

Decade    -  40's (40s, 40)
                                                        - 50's
                                                        - 60's
                                                         -80's
                                                         -90's

Origin - French
                                                       - Irish
                                                        - Italian
                                                        - Latin
                                                         - Polish
                                                        - Swedish

That would allow to create playlists and search for Albums and Tracks by Genre much easier and faster. Library Explorer list would be much shorter and easier to handle.

The solution would be also consistent to the current Equaliser settings.

Thanks for considering  and supporting :)

Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:46:33 AM by VX

carloscs

Joining the same but different spelled Genres into one Node would be very appreciated.
Nope. I would like it much better if MusicBee allowed mass tag renaming: rename "Powerpop" -> "Power Pop" would rename the genre inside the respective tracks. And if the tag contains "Something; Powerpop; AnotherThing" it would be renamed to "Something; Power Pop; AnotherThing"

Note: A month ago I did this a lot in MediaMonkey: unifying artists with different spelling, same artist with different naming ("Last+First Name"->"First+Last Name") , unifying genres (your request), etc

Very useful.

The next step for Genres view in Library Explorer would be to sort tracks by Genre Categories Node:
You can do something like this now: "right click->Sort By->Define Custom Sorting" and you can define a sorting "Genre Category, ...".

The only limitation is that you can only have two custom sortings, but I haven't needed more yet.

VX

Carlosc, I totally agree with your first suggestion, I thought  about it earlier but in my opinion it was more difficult to implement so I suggested joining different spelled genres into one node. Of course, if Steven wish to create tool or command for unifying not only genres but also artists with different spelling that would be awesome!

As for second, I think Genre Category should be predefined option in sort by menu as it is in Track Browser in Main Panel.
Track Browser in Main Panel is extremely useful for me - it contains various predefined sorting options including Genre Category, Decade, Rating, Year, Mood ... It's funny but it seems that most users don't know that the three default categories in Track Browser are so highly and easy customizable  :D

Comparing Library Explorer in Navigator Panel to Track Browser in Main Panel in terms of usability is like comparing an abacus to a calculator  ;)

Steven

• Administrator
i would prefer this implemented as an "Auto-correct" feature of the Tag Search and Replace function, where you can preview the results before its committed, rather than doing this on the fly (it would probably  never get it right for all users for example).

carloscs

Tag Search and Replace
Hmm, nice.  Another feature I didn't know in MusicBee :)

Although my request would be a little more User  Friendly - easier and quicker to use - tag search and replace is much more powerful. With this, I won't miss the replace "in place" much, so it's not a big missing feature.

i would prefer this implemented as an "Auto-correct" feature of the Tag Search and Replace
-1 from me. I don't see an easy way to implement this, at least not without access to a dictionary/spell checker. No easy way to know when something is misspelled or not.

VX

Tag Search and Replace

i would prefer this implemented as an "Auto-correct" feature of the Tag Search and Replace
-1 from me. I don't see an easy way to implement this, at least not without access to a dictionary/spell checker. No easy way to know when something is misspelled or not.

IMHO "Auto-correct" feature of the Tag Search and Replace would be ideal solution for the problem, providing that a user has possibility to edit the rules of replacement and add misspelled words or phrases to replace (access to spell checker or dictionary won't be needed if the rules were correct and meets most users needs).

+ 1 for "Auto-correct" feature. This would be very useful not only for the Tag Search and Replace but also for renaming audio files  :)

carloscs

IMHO "Auto-correct" feature of the Tag Search and Replace would be ideal solution for the problem, providing that a user has possibility to edit the rules of replacement and add misspelled words or phrases to replace
Why go to all the trouble of creating rules, add lists of words+misspells + interface to manage misspell rules + programming to deal with misspells ? Just a simple "Rename this tag/artist/genre/..." is  much simpler, much less trouble and more than enough.

Use case from this post: The user notices a misspell "Power Pop" and "Powerpop".

Your workflow:
- the user goes to Tools->Tags->Manage spelling.
- Create new word -> "Power Pop"[or find an already existing word].
- Choose that this word only applies to genres, or to a list of tags.
- Add misspell -> "powerpop".

Done after a lot of steps [+ a lot of programming to manage all this].

My workflow:
- the user presses F2/edit [Or right mouse button -> Rename] and types the correct word.

Done after one step and much simpler programming...

timelezz

What is the progress here? I hope it is implemented already. Any plugins ready?

Ps. The search & Replace is a bit flawed.
When a file is tagged with "Drum & Bass; Drum and Bass", and I replace "Drum and Bass" with "Drum & Bass", the result is "Drum & Bass; Drum & Bass". Which not get me anywhere.
Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:42:16 AM by timelezz

HHM

timelezz

Yes, MediaMonkey (MM) has a tree of genres. And you can edit the leafs. So when you change the name of a leaf to one that already exists, they are joined. Pretty neat, I must say. I am surprised it is not possible to make a tree of genres in MB for this. Would be useful, I think.

Stockinger

Yes, MediaMonkey (MM) has a tree of genres. And you can edit the leafs. So when you change the name of a leaf to one that already exists, they are joined. Pretty neat, I must say. I am surprised it is not possible to make a tree of genres in MB for this. Would be useful, I think.

+1

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

You could accomplish something like this with Library Explorer with just one extra step.  Use genre as a category, then select the genre you want to change.  Select all and edit the genre to whatever you want.  (Use Tag Inspector if there are multiple genre tags on the tracks.)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

timelezz

You could accomplish something like this with Library Explorer with just one extra step.  Use genre as a category, then select the genre you want to change.  Select all and edit the genre to whatever you want.  (Use Tag Inspector if there are multiple genre tags on the tracks.)

No, it is not the same. You would overwrite genres when some songs have more than one genre!

timelezz

So, it would be great if one could edit fields straight in the Library Explorer! I would love to press F2 at this place.