Author Topic: Playback Interruptions  (Read 2256 times)

Iron Horse

Hello,

New to MB and overall impressed.

Initially I never seemed to have playback interruptions/stutter but now it has become fairly common. I searched for a solution and based on what I found increased the buffer time, but even at the max buffer setting the issue remains.

Parallel to this I have been ripping more and more CDs and importing them to MB from iTunes. For some reason I could not rip directly to MB. Mention this in case there is any cause/effect with the increased files.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

sveakul

Are you running something processor/memory intensive while you're using MusicBee?  Have you tried the setting "load entire file into memory"?  What plugins are you using?

Iron Horse

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

I have not, but will try the "load entire file into memory".

I don't believe I'm running anything processor/memory sensitive while using MB (just several web pages open simultaneously). When you ask about plugins, so you mean am I using any with MB simultaneously or in general. I am not using any actively/simultaneously.

Also seems like it has become an issue when initially never was. Not tech savvy enough to determine why so appreciate the ideas.

Steven

• Administrator
Sometimes windows can update the computer audio device driver, so check you have an up-to-date driver from the device manufacturer.
Also some security software has been known to interfere with MusicBee including causing stuttering. Especially if you are using Avast
Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:08:06 PM by Steven

Iron Horse

Steven,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using an external DAC via USB/laptop + headphone amplifier. The DAC is pretty new so drivers should be current (downloaded with DAC set up 2 months ago).

I am using Avast -- wonder if that is the issue. Is there a work around for that or do I need to look to another security software option?

Thanks again.

sveakul

I am using Avast -- wonder if that is the issue. Is there a work around for that or do I need to look to another security software option?

That probably IS the issue;  Avast is notorious for interfering with MusicBee, search for "Avast" in the Bugs thread and you'll see what I mean.  You don't necessarily need new software, just be sure that you whitelist the whole MusicBee folder in all of the Avast modules, including "behavioral analysis."
Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:52:27 PM by sveakul

Iron Horse

That probably IS the issue;  Avast is notorious for interfering with MusicBee, search for "Avast" in the Bugs thread and you'll see what I mean.  You don't necessarily need new software, just be sure that you whitelist the whole MusicBee folder in all of the Avast modules, including "behavioral anlaysis."

Thank you. Will try that.

Iron Horse

Thanks to you both.

Having done "load entire file into memory" and editing the Avast setup simultaneously, not sure which solved the issue (suspect Avast setup) but it's fixed.

Great to be able to enjoy uninterrupted music again!

sveakul

Good deal!  Because I'm curious, would appreciate it if now you try un-checking "load entire file into memory", and see if playback is still normal.  Nail down the culprit once and for all, to help others who may read the thread.

Steven

• Administrator
Having done "load entire file into memory" and editing the Avast setup simultaneously, not sure which solved the issue (suspect Avast setup) but it's fixed.
could you provide instructions for editing the Avast settings so other users know what to do?

Iron Horse

Good deal!  Because I'm curious, would appreciate it if now you try un-checking "load entire file into memory", and see if playback is still normal.  Nail down the culprit once and for all, to help others who may read the thread.

done and no issue so far... 8)

Iron Horse

could you provide instructions for editing the Avast settings so other users know what to do?

Open Avast-->Menu-->Settup-->General-->Exclusions-->"File Path" Tab-->enter name of file (e.g. "music") in search box and then "Add"

sveakul

Good deal!  Because I'm curious, would appreciate it if now you try un-checking "load entire file into memory", and see if playback is still normal.  Nail down the culprit once and for all, to help others who may read the thread.

done and no issue so far... 8)

Thanks Iron Horse for letting us know.  Just to add to your comment on the Avast instructions, users can specify whole folders for exclusion using the method you describe, and should indeed do that for the entire MusicBee folder/subfolders wherever your install has placed them, not just for the MusicBee.exe file.

frankz

FYI I've started seeing this, too.  Playback just stops.  No Avast in sight - uninstalled about a month ago.  Both with my Audioquest Dragonfly DAC and HDMI out to my receiver (WASAPI exclusive).  Playback will just stop with the progress meter staying at the point progress in the track stopped - just like if I hit pause except the indicator doesn't change.  If I hit Stop and then play, things play as they should.  MP3s here.  Nothing in the error log.

This is version 3.3.6909.  Not sure what's going on.