Author Topic: The Volume Analyzer adds replaygain tags instead of R128 in Opus files  (Read 4309 times)

Cypher

When i was testing OPUS encoding i saw that the OPUS encodes have replay gain tags even after removing and analyzing their volumes again. This means i cant play OPUS files with the lowered gain in foobar2000 for example as that music player uses R128 for OPUS.

Is this a feature that needs to be added or can i toggle this in the settings somewhere?

Steven

• Administrator
I wasnt aware of the R128 requirement for OPUS files. I suggest you remove the replay gain tags MB has written (Tools/ Restore Original Volume), however i would have thought foobar is ignoring the replay gain tags MB writes anyway as MB is not writing R128 tags.

As I understand things, opus files have a replaygain value already calculated and written to the file. MB is already using that value as the bass library uses it by default as per the opus spec.

I will look to update MB to write the R128 tags at some point

Cypher

I've restored the original volume of one album i've encoded from a FLAC version that has replay gain tags. I've played a track of the OPUS version and the volume is much louder than the FLAC version that has replay gain. So when there's no replay gain tags, it plays at full volume.
I've also tested replay gain with OPUS in MusicBee. It does play with the replay gain and foobar2000 does not. When i remove those tags again and scan the volume with foobar2000. Both music players play at the R128 volume. I think this is the value that you're talking about that the BASS library reads. At the volume leveling section at properties it does say it's not calculated if only R128 tags are on the OPUS files.

I've setup the file converter to use the OPUS encoder from the foobar2000 encoder pack, which is version 1.3 from opus-tools 0.2. I've also disabled the permanently adjust the volume to the replay gain volume as i still want to retain the original volume when replay gain/R128 is off. But the feature does work as i use it for my music player and the volume of every track and album is even no matter if it's OPUS or MP3.

So i think this is a matter of a missing feature in the file converter then. If you're going to work on the R128 feature, i recommend you to let the volume leveling section read those R128 tags alongside replay gain tags so i know those tags have their volume scanned with R128.

Steven

• Administrator
I have implemented replay gain as per the opus spec and will make it available in the next v3.3 update after some more testing.
You will need to rescan your opus files or re-do the volume analysis function with the new version

Cypher

I can confirm that the volume analyzer uses the R128 and the volume leveling field displays the gain on scanned OPUS files.

Thanks for fixing it!