Author Topic: Can't View NAS Drives  (Read 5273 times)

wellsie

I just installed MusicBee as I'd read that it's a great alternative to iTunes for large libraries. I have been using iTunes with our music stored on a Synology NAS, which is also from where we stream our library to SONOS. iTunes has become just about useless - just loading it takes forever and any task or view change also takes SO long that not to mention when it just stalls out. So I was happy to find MusicBee, but after installing I find that it doesn't see my NAS drives.

I read the forum and I saw one suggestion about using a network share vs. mapped drives. I can't remember why exactly, but I think to be able to use this the NAS with SONOS it had to be mapped? Is there another way to get MB to see the NAS?

I am running Windows 10. Please let me know what other info you need. Thanks for any help you can offer.

captain_paranoia

MB sees my MyCloud NAS mapped drive just fine. I'm running Win7 and Win8.1.

Can you see the mapped NAS drive in File Explorer?

Have you told MB to look for music on your mapped NAS drive?

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't know anything about SONOS but most people who are using MB with music on a NAS map the folder containing the music as a drive letter and then point MB to that drive letter. There are some who successfully used a UNC path, but the mapped drive letter method is the method that will work.

As for getting MB to the SONOS, your post says you streamed your music to the SONOS. MB does not stream anything by itself. You might want to look at the UPNP/DLNA plugin which works for some people and not for others. Note that it is no longer supported so if you need help with it you can post in the plugins thread and hope that someone can offer suggestions.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

wellsie

Thanks to both of you for your help. I had almost completed a reply before having to leave for an event, and it all seems to have disappeared so I think what I said was as follows:

1) Yes, I can see (and access) the NAS drives in File Explorer (and I could at the time of trying to configure MB). That was the first thing I checked, just to make sure that they network wasn't down or some other issue like that. Should have mentioned that.
2) I tried to point MB to the mapped NAS drive (mine is using Z:), but they neither showed up as regular letter drives or at network drives that could be added.
3) I should have clarified that I only mentioned the SONOS usage because if I had to change the NAS from a mapped drive to a network share, I wasn't sure if that would affect the SONOS connection. It was probably a poor choice of words to say SONOS streams. I just meant that it's working well with the NAS as it is configured now.

The reason I thought I had to move away from the mapped drive is from the last comment on this thread:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=22839.0

I would greatly prefer to leave the NAS as mapped drives much as you both say works fine with MB. That said, I now have to figure out why MB won't/can't see the NAS.

Thanks again.

phred

• Global Moderator
That link is interesting in that a year ago two people reported the same issue as you. And that they were successful with a share rather than a mapped drive.

I've had my MB library mapped to Z: since 2009 and haven't had an issue. In the 'early' days I would occasionally set it to the UNC path and was never successful.

- Do you keep your music in a directory on the NAS, or at the root?
- If the former are you mapped to the folder?
- If the later are you mapped to "Z:\" or "Z:"? Try them both.

Please let us know how you make out.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Lu

Hi, new user here.. just downloaded and like it so far keep up the good work and i wanted to add my 2 cent to this old thread to hopefully help out a bit.

I encountered this also myself on the initial setup and did a bit of digging. Appears to be that it's not showing mapped network drives with a underscore ( _ ) in the remote name

beneath net use in a cmd prompt to show local drive letter & remote location as known on the local computer.

net use
New connections will be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK           E:        \\ipaddress\_OneonOne_C*****                               Microsoft Windows Network
OK           M:        \\ipaddress\Flac-E***                                              Microsoft Windows Network

The first one (e drive with the underscore in the remote location) didnt show up on the the initial setup add folders wizard, the m mapped without the underscore did.

Like i said, i only installed the software like an hour ago, funny thing scratching the surface a bit andunder library -> monitored folders -> choose folders folder with an underscore in the remote location are selectable :)

Blame the compiler? :)

Dryst

Just an FYI that I use MusicBee with my NAS that accesses it using UNC network paths only.  I never map drives, and I simply do not use software that requires mapping of drives.

The original poster stated using Synology NAS.  I never used one of these, but I would suspect a Windows networking compatibility issue of some sort.  I wonder it an update or a change of settings may help.

hirdon

This video will hopefully help - It is the problem with new updates of win10 - not with MB

https://youtu.be/oDtIxoCPKrI