Author Topic: 4 things: Numerical artists / Player txt / 'Sort as' data / Genius.com lyrics  (Read 1229 times)

chrswrn

A few things I'd like to see implemented. I'm new here so apologies if these are already possible - if they are, please let me know how :)

1: An option to select whether you'd like artists whose name start with a number to appear before A (as it is by default, can't seem to change this on MB) or after Z (as I would prefer).
...and in a similar vein to that one, when I sort albums by Year, I'd like the option to put Yearless albums (live bootlegs/compilation best of's etc) to the bottom of the artists albums rather than at the top, so that clicking into an artist in left panel always shows me their Studio Albums/EP's first. (although I'm aware other people may not organise their albums that way, it would still be really nice to have the option)

2: Ability to add a line break in the 'Scroll in player as' config, so that you can make the text in the Player contols span over multiple lines (or at least a max of 2 lines) e.g. have Artist - Title and then the Album underneath, rather than one line Artist - Title - Album.

3: When importing from iTunes, copy the "Sort as" data ... for example when an artist has released more than one album in the same year, I used the Sort as on iTunes to contain "1","2","3" etc but this data didn't get copied across.

4: To be able to remove the last.fm scrobbling icon. I've got scrobbling disabled, but the fish-like icon still appears in the progress bar.

5: Add Genius.com as a lyrics provider. They seem to have the new stuff the quickest, and are my favourite go-to for lyrics these days.

TIA for any help with these.

All in all, absolutely loving musicbee and so glad I've made the switch!

[edit: added a 5th item]
Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:31:14 PM by chrswrn

chrswrn

Can solve your 5th request:  add the MB LyricsReloaded (Updated) plugin, it has Genius (and more):

https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/166/lyrics-reloaded-updated/

Done!
Thanks for your quick reply - much appreciated.

As for the others, I've found some similar threads on number 4 but they all seem to go unanswered so I guess the Last.fm thing is an elephant in the room ... maybe they pay/sponsor to have the scrobble icon.

Anyway, 1 and 2 are the most important for me.... ?
Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 06:36:36 PM by chrswrn

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
1 & 3 should both be doable with MusicBee's custom sort tags, although it may take a little creativity.

First, make sure that you have this feature enabled. I think you can do that from the sorting tab of the tag editor.

For 1, try setting the sort artist to ZZ <Artist Name>. The good news is that with MusicBee's sort tags enabled, you can do this once for each artist and it will automatically be applied to everything by that artist.

For part 2 of #1, and for #3, it will be a little more labor intensive to get it right. but you can do basically the same thing with the Sort Album field. If you want to do a little more work up front, but have it more automated in the long run, you could make a virtual tag to use for sorting in place of Album, basically incorporating Date and Sort Album together.  I'm not in a good place to write that out right now, but if you want to try it I'll come to with something later.
Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:12:26 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

chrswrn

1 & 3 should both be doable with MusicBee's custom sort tags, although it may take a little creativity.

First, make sure that you have this feature enabled. I think you can do that from the sorting tab of the tag editor.

For 1, try setting the sort artist to ZZ <Artist Name>. The good news is that with MusicBee's sort tags enabled, you can do this once for each artist and it will automatically be applied to everything by that artist.

For part 2 of #1, and for #3, it will be a little more labor intensive to get it right. but you can do basically the same thing with the Sort Album field. If you want to do a little more work up front, but have it more automated in the long run, you could make a virtual tag to use for sorting in place of Album, basically incorporating Date and Sort Album together.  I'm not in a good place to write that out right now, but if you want to try it I'll come to with something later.

This is great, thanks! Just off out but will work on this during the week and let you know how I get on. Cheers again.

Steven

• Administrator

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you want to do a little more work up front, but have it more automated in the long run, you could make a virtual tag to use for sorting in place of Album, basically incorporating Date and Sort Album together.  I'm not in a good place to write that out right now, but if you want to try it I'll come to with something later.

You told me you're sorting by Album Artist/Year/Sort Album.  You might need to tweak this a little depending on how you've handled Sort Album, but my suggestion would be to write a Sort Year tag, like this:

$IsNull(<Year>, 9999, <Year>)

Then you'll need to go into Sorting/Grouping preferences and use the new tag in one of the custom Sort By slots, so make an Album Artist/Sort Year/Sort Album setting. Once you've done that you can use it from the main panel Sort By menu.
Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:41:01 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

chrswrn

If you want to do a little more work up front, but have it more automated in the long run, you could make a virtual tag to use for sorting in place of Album, basically incorporating Date and Sort Album together.  I'm not in a good place to write that out right now, but if you want to try it I'll come to with something later.

You told me you're sorting by Album Artist/Year/Sort Album.  You might need to tweak this a little depending on how you've handled Sort Album, but my suggestion would be to write a Sort Year tag, like this:

$IsNull(<Year>, 9999, <Year>)

Then you'll need to go into Sorting/Grouping preferences and use the new tag in one of the custom Sort By slots, so make an Album Artist/Sort Year/Sort Album setting. Once you've done that you can use it from the main panel Sort By menu.

That has done exactly what I wanted.

Thanks again!