Author Topic: How do I copy custom tags?  (Read 1928 times)

Timothy W

I am trying to copy the custom tags to the new computer, It is telling me that they are saved to MusicBee database, But I have not been able to find these files, can any one tell me where these are and will I be able to copy and paste them to the other computer.   

frankz

You're best off copying your entire library and your music folder to the new computer and then using the File->Library->Relink Music File Paths utility to correct for any drive letter or similar path discrepancies.  That way you don't lose anything or have to deal with trying to match things in the exact order you copied them, etc. 

Once it's up and running on the new computer you can make changes to file locations and that kind of thing, but at least you start from right where you left off on the old one.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Frankz advice will work as long as you get the .mbl file, which is where those custom tags are saved. See the backup & restore page on the wiki for more details.

In the future, I suggest making an actual custom tag that's saved in the file, so you don't run the risk of losing them of the files are separated from the database. However, transferring from "saved in the database"  to a tag in the file is more involved than just switching the target in preferences. You'll need to create a second custom tag that is stored in the file, use the additional tagging add reporting tools plugin to copy the values across, and THEN you can change the original tag to point at the tag in the file.
Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:38:17 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Timothy W

I'v had a opps moment, I think I all most managed to follow your instructions but finish up losing all my custom data. so I am having to start again. unless there is a way of recovering the data? I just hope I can get it set up so I can back it up this time.   

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you have backups you can replace the.mbl file with an older version to put out back the way it was. They're might even be an mbl.bak that you can restore from, depending on how much you've done since then.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Timothy W

Thats been one of my problems I am trying to fix and that is non of the data in the custom tags seams to get backed up. I have tried to copy the mbl files across but nothing happens. I have just been in the defined new custom tags and created some new ones, they appeared in the set display fields. but when I copied the library to the new computer they still didn't work?   

Timothy W

Ok I have managed to recover most of the data from a old back up so that proved that the back up worked. I will have a think for some days and try and work out why I have not been able to transfer to the other computer some thing about address or may be because the new one is the portable version?   

phred

• Global Moderator
Except for the way they're installed the portable version and the installer version are the same. What you have to make sure of is that the file paths for both installations are exactly the same.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Timothy W

Ok I  have them all across to the new computer now thanks to every one for the help