Author Topic: Customize panel - track information - fields - field playlist - sort  (Read 1682 times)

dantasan

Hello together,

I have a question about configuring the field <Playlist> in the "track information" panel.
Generally I want to display the names of all playlists a particular track is part of, which I did over a single field where I have configured the "max. row span:" with 10 and enabled the general checkbox "split multi-value tags into rows", which pretty works well as you can see on the screenshot.

But now I want to have this list of playlist names sorted.
I thought this will work over the function, which can also be found in the "Function Selector", $Sort(<Playlist>), but that doesn't work.
So am I doing something wrong, or do I need to configure it diffently, or do I need to prepare the field <Playlist> before I put it into the Sort() function, because generally the field <Playlist> is a semicolumn separated list, isn't it?

It would be really great if somebody would have a hint or solution for this sorting of the field.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,
all the best from Austria

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I don't think what you want is possible. Playlists is not a fully supported field in this sense.  I'm actually impressed that it's working for you in the track details.

Also, the sort function doesn't directly sort tags, it just applies the "ignore when sorting" field to an individual tag.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

dantasan

Hello,

thanks a lot for your answer!
First of all, I also need to say that I'm often impressed from Musicbee.
I compared a lot of music libaries and for me Musicbee is really the best!
This, track is part in which playlist, is my last not solved thing.

Do you mean that the sort function is expecitly ignoring the Playlist field from sorting?
But how is Musicbee generally working with functions and its parameters and return values?
Or how is the sort function working?
I would say only lists can be sorted, so maybe we can prepare the parameter for the sort function with other functions (replace,split,...) in a way the sort would work?
But for such things, you need to know how the functions are working.
Do you know how the functions are working in detail?

Or maybe there is a way over a custom field which is sortable, but therefore I would need the Musicbee forum know how.
Has somebody an idea?

All the best

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Do you mean that the sort function is expecitly ignoring the Playlist field from sorting?

No, that's just a misunderstanding of what the sort function does. $Sort has to have a tag to be applied to, and Playlists is not a tag.  Because playlists is not generated from tags, it can't be manipulated by functions the way tags could.  I don't know what the default order of the playlists is when displayed that way, maybe creation order? You could make a wishlist request for some other ordering of the playlists.

Another approach to what you're trying to do that might work is to make auto-playlists based on a custom tag, and use that custom tag instead of Playlists. Like, call a custom tag "Include In" and have values "Playlist 1; Playlist 2; Playlist 3". Then each playlist would have a rule like "Include In contains Playlist 1," etc. You'd be responsible for keeping the playlists in whatever order you want in the tags.

For a better explanation of functions, I suggest you take a look at https://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Functions.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

dantasan

Hello again, yesterday i installed the new version and the Playlist field is now sorted out of the box.
That's really great and solved my last annoying problem.
I really have too say that Musicbee is the best Music player/library ever!

All the best