Author Topic: MusicBee built-in "LyricWiki" search  (Read 1278 times)

sveakul

Not sure whether to post this in Plugins/Bugs/Here.  Does the lyrics search choice "LyricWiki" refer to www.lyrics.wikia.com?  Had the occasion to be playing "Struggling at the Mirror" by "Tystnaden" on MusicBee web radio, and lyrics could not be found despite most provider choices being checked in Tags(2), including "LyricWiki."  I am running frankz's mb_LyricsReloaded plugin, but according to its search log (which I checked) this plugin does not query LyricWiki, so I'm assuming that choice in Tags(2) is part of the built-in original sources his plugin is only designed to complement.

Note that the station involved correctly sends artist and title metadata and MusicBee DOES find lyrics for many songs from this station:

The point of this question is that when switching to Foobar while the same song was playing, it's lyrics plugin was able to find and display the lyrics from www.lyrics.wikia.com, as shown below:

Therefore, IF "LyricWiki" is indeed the same as www.lyrics.wikia.com, something is failing in the search algorithm being used for that database by MusicBee--can that be fixed, or if not, frankz can you add it to your own plugin?

Moderators please move post to the appropriate forum if I picked the wrong one.

Steven

• Administrator
MB does use the lyricwiki api and it doesnt find any matches (tested by directly running the query). However doing a direct page search which would require parsing the page html does return a match.
I guess foobar might be using the html page parsing approach but i dont plan to change MB.
I cant answer for what the lyrics plugin might do.

frankz

The plugin does do HTML page parsing.  LyricWiki does have those lyrics despite the inaccurate results returned by its API.  If the API will sometimes provide incomplete results, I can definitely add this source back into the plugin.

Update: Done.
Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:32:35 PM by frankz

sveakul

Steven, thanks for the info and test, and frankz, thanks a lot for updating your plugin to cover this issue!  Much appreciated!  Going to grab it now.