Author Topic: Using "albumgrouping" tag from Picard?  (Read 1040 times)

eddiestrike

I just tagged my music library with MusicBrainz Picard, and one of the tags I was interested in was "albumgrouping" which was provided by a lastfm plugin. I was hoping this could be displayed in MusicBee as it's one of the most accurate genre tags I've found.

Is there anyway to get musicbee to display it?

Thanks

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You should be able to configure it as a custom tag.

https://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Tags
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

eddiestrike

You should be able to configure it as a custom tag.

https://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Tags

Could you provide short instruction on how to do this? I have never set up a custom tag before so I'm confused. Also, when looking in details tab in one of my music files, there is no "albumgrouping" anywhere, so I'm not sure how or where this tag is even stored, but according to Picard all my files have one.

Edit: I was able to use foobar and display my music by "albumgrouping" and it worked perfectly. Now just need to figure out how to do the same thing in MusicBee as I hate Foobar.  :-[
Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:39:22 AM by eddiestrike

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For non-standard tags, there are two pieces to setting it up as a custom tag:

1) Figure out what the tag code is. (You can use Tag Inspector to find this info. For MP3s, it will be the TXXX/tagname value under Tag Code. For other formats it won't have TXXX/.) Use this code to create a new custom tag in Define New Tags. The value for your file format needs to match what you saw in Tag Inspector, except leave off the TXXX/ prefix for id3.

2) Link the new tag you created to a Custom Tag slot in Tags(1) and give it an appropriate name. When you save this setting, MusicBee will scan in the values from the new tag and it will show up in the Tag Editor on the second page of tags.

If all files have been scanned and you're not seeing values for this field in the Tag Editor, but you do see it in Tag Inspector, then either there's a mismatch between the tag code and the value you gave MusicbBee in Define New Tags, or you didn't link the Custom Tag slot correctly in Tags (1).
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

eddiestrike

If all files have been scanned and you're not seeing values for this field in the Tag Editor, but you do see it in Tag Inspector, then either there's a mismatch between the tag code and the value you gave MusicbBee in Define New Tags, or you didn't link the Custom Tag slot correctly in Tags (1).

Tag Inspector says the tag code is ALBUMGROUPING, now which box in MB do I need to enter this? Is it custom tag or virtual tag? I am so confused.  :-[

Thanks !

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Start with the top section of Define New Tags (within Tags(1) Preferences). It has to be entered there, then linked to a custom tag slot in Tags(1).
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)