Author Topic: File Permission  (Read 1890 times)

edcase

First off, my fault using a feature not as intended.
MusicBee doesn't have clearance to change files [rate/rename/move] or add to library etc...

So I upgraded [replaced] my C:// SSD, fresh windows install, with user files relatively unaffected on other drives.
Installed MusicBee again, imported my panel layout [edit>import/export] then unsatisfied, foolishly went ahead and...
loaded my "saved settings" [edit>saved settings>load snapshot]... instantly all music and settings flashed into existence.

Delighted, I carried on my merry way setting up windows. So later on I try adding an album to MusicBee and get this error:

MusicBee v3.2.6760.38310 (Win10.0), 20 Jul 2018 15:23:

System.Exception: You do not have access permission to the source or target folder, or another process has a file locked

https://ibb.co/mKjhzJ

And when trying to Rate or change ID3 Tags MusicBee can't access it.

https://ibb.co/fzco6y

So rather than admit my problem I went and told MusicBee to launch as admin and that worked, mostly... except...
When MusicBee is elevated like that windows doesn't like Drag&Drop with it, so can't just drop an album into the library.

So I should just reinstall MusicBee and go through the settings manually right?
Or is there a simple line in some .ini where i have my old C:/ path clashing with the fresh install or something?

Thanks for reading, this is my fault, sorry for inconvenience.

edcase

Okay, so after quite a few re-installs and fiddling I think that Avast Antivirus has been my issue, it doesn't prevent MB launching just blocks file access so i kept hitting brick walls.
Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:48:16 AM by edcase

captain_paranoia

IME, Avast is as bad as any malware it's allegedly trying to protect against, in terms of the impact on computer performance. I removed it, which was a battle, as it really wasn't keen on being removed.

I just keep Windows Defender up-to-date. By all accounts, it appears to be as effective as any other malware protection; google will help you decide.

edcase

Actually Avast is off the hook for this one, was initially thrown off after reading load settings snapshot isn't strictly to be used like I did. Had briefly checked the music files in group select properties and found they were not read only however group select doesn't display the "Security" tab and that's where my issue was. Permission for "Everyone" was not set to "Full Control" after rectifying this MB has no problems editing, moving or adding music.

Anyhow had MB running in admin mode for a while before making more time to look at the problem this evening, read about Avast causing issues and remembered I had this problem with them clashing last year, so disabled Avast shields still no good, so reinstalled MB with Avast disabled and it worked... till next time when it wasn't, so uninstalled Avast still no good. Odd, so I reinstalled MB again and it worked, restarting MB however had the issue reoccur, so I double check the files which I thought I had and foolishly noticed the problem.

My bad. =] Avast is getting more bloated by default, you can disable/remove the majority of the crunk in the settings, as you say though on weaker hardware it can cumbersome, Defender has improved but personally hate how tiresome dealing with false positives can be with it.

This thread can be locked or whatever, thanks all.
Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:49:48 AM by edcase