Author Topic: (Version 1.8) Spectrogram Panel Plugin  (Read 101934 times)

zkhcohen

In terms of the bug you're experiencing with seeking - I can't replicate it.

Can you attach a screenshot or video of it occurring?

See the GIF at the link below:

1.  Song starts, time elapsed counter in lower right corner begins;

2.  At the 6 seconds point I drag the cursor into the spectrogram, which immediately stops the MB time counter and MB seekbar but not the music (the plugin-generated time by cursor doesn't show on the gif--some overlay problem in my gif app, sorry!).

3.  I drag the cursor to about 2/3 of the song, click it to seek, and then move it down out of the spectrogram window, which causes the MB seekbar and elapsed time to immediately jump to the right place and resume counting.

https://imgur.com/gLca5DE

Updated. I might have fixed your issue.

Edit: I forgot to fix the cursor... will update shortly.

Edit 2: Changed cursor.
Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 07:41:52 PM by zkhcohen

sveakul

Thanks for your reply!

The good news:  the "funky finger" cursor is GONE  :)

The other news:  the other behavior as shown in the GIF remains, namely:

When the song is playing, moving the mouse cursor anywhere into the spectrogram causes the MusicBee time indicator and progress bar in the player controls-bottom pane to freeze, although the music continues to play.  Moving the cursor out of the spectrogram will cause the MB time and progress bar to un-freeze and immediately jump to the currently playing position.

As expected from the above behavior, clicking within the spectrogram for a seek operation is successful, but the MB time/bar will freeze, then unfreeze when the cursor is moved out of the display.

I said "other" news because this isn't exactly some big negative or bug, it just would be nice to have the player control indicators function as you would expect regardless of whether the cursor is in the spectrogram window or not.  To which one might reply, "just keep it out of the window then, stupid!"

With the thousands of views this thread has received it would sure be nice to have some other users commenting on this (hint, hint!).

Anyway, it would be great if you feel like having another bash at this, and much appreciated by me at least.  But if want to consign it to the "things that cannot be fixed" category, I'm good with that too.

zkhcohen

Anyway, it would be great if you feel like having another bash at this, and much appreciated by me at least.  But if want to consign it to the "things that cannot be fixed" category, I'm good with that too.

Any chance you can send me the skin and layout you use so I can test this? I can't manage to replicate it on my system.

sveakul

The skin I use is the supplied-with-MusicBee "Maya Blue", in the "Dark-Fine Tuned" group.

The layout I use is in the 7z posted here:  http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=25425319485832111344

MusicBee 3.3.7042, using wasapi-exclusive on Windows 7 SP1, on-the-motherboard Realtek audio (sad I know).

I have no idea why you aren't seeing what I describe, which is why it would be nice if other users could please post what THEY see with this new build?

Thanks for taking another look!

Mr. Trev

I've had the plugin disabled, and haven't been following the progress lately, but just turned it on to see what's what.

I'm running MB version 3.3.7038. Bleached Bone skin. Player controls at the top. Win 10 (insert sad trombone noise here)

I'm not seeing the same problem that sveakul is experiencing. Maybe it's a Win 7 thing? Also isn't sveakul using the 32bit version of ffmpeg (maybe that could be causing complications)?

Otherwise everything seems to be functioning as I'd expect it - seems quite a bit faster than I remember it too

sveakul

Thanks Mr. Trev for contributing your observations!  I tried moving my player controls to the top panel--no difference.  Also tried to get a hold of the Bleached Bone skin at the Skins downloads in case that made any difference, but that ends up with MediaFire being unable to generate a successful "download key" whatever that means.  I have tried the stock MusicBee3 skin, same thing:

Every time I move the mouse pointer into the Spectrogram window, the elapsed time indicator on the controls bar "freezes" while music continues to play normally, jumping to the correct time again as soon as the pointer is  moved out of the window.  Same thing with the MB progress bar.

I don't know if my placement of the spectrogram makes any difference (bottom main panel) in reference to my general layout, but hopefully zkhcohen can make some progress with my uploaded layout settings I posted above.  Here is what they LOOK like at any rate: https://imgur.com/vBDymN7

If it ain't that, maybe it really is a Win 7 thing.  Yep I'm using 32-bit ffmpeg (latest dev build) but hard to see how that would affect the actual player control progress bar/timer as opposed to behavior of the spectrogram generation itself.  The latter's options all work normally.

Thanks again for letting us know what you're seeing.

sveakul

zkhcohen: also forgot to mention, when rolling back to versions 1.6.1/2, the problem vanishes--having the pointer within the spectrogram makes no difference at all to the player control time counter or progress bar;  clicking within the spectrogram to seek produces an instant reaction by the latter to the seek point.

So the problem I have seems directly related to the addition of the progressive time indicator in version 1.7x
Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:42:23 AM by sveakul

Mr. Trev

Thanks Mr. Trev for contributing your observations!  I tried moving my player controls to the top panel--no difference.  Also tried to get a hold of the Bleached Bone skin at the Skins downloads in case that made any difference, but that ends up with MediaFire being unable to generate a successful "download key" whatever that means.  I have tried the stock MusicBee3 skin, same thing:

I don't know if my placement of the spectrogram makes any difference (bottom main panel) in reference to my general layout, but hopefully zkhcohen can make some progress with my uploaded layout settings I posted above.  Here is what they LOOK like at any rate: https://imgur.com/vBDymN7

I have the spectrogram in the same place (bottom main panel), probably the only difference is I use the album covers view
Here's a pic of my layout: https://i.imgur.com/XfKryXu.jpg
You can also see why I don't keep the spectrogram active - eats up too much screen space with album cover view
Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:32:12 AM by Mr. Trev

sveakul

Mr. Trev:  Thanks for the screenshot!  BTW cool skin.  Can you confirm that you are using version 1.7.2 of the plugin zkhcohen uploaded today?  Do you have any of the 2 "experimental" options enabled?

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
@sveakul:
I've tried a few different skins and settings, with experimental on and off, I can't duplicate your behaviour from the gif file.  :(

Also tried to get a hold of the Bleached Bone skin at the Skins downloads in case that made any difference, but that ends up with MediaFire being unable to generate a successful "download key" whatever that means.
On a positive note, here is a direct link to Bleached Bone (while MediaFire sorts out the problem)

@zkhcohen:
I noticed that if you put the panel anywhere else except the bottom of the main panel, you don't get a header bar. That's either with the 'Experimental: Disable Header' off or on.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

zkhcohen

Mr. Trev

Mr. Trev:  Thanks for the screenshot!  BTW cool skin.  Can you confirm that you are using version 1.7.2 of the plugin zkhcohen uploaded today?  Do you have any of the 2 "experimental" options enabled?

Yes, latest version of the plugin. No, I'm not using any of the experimental options (actually, didn't even notice they were there TBH)

zkhcohen

@zkhcohen:
I noticed that if you put the panel anywhere else except the bottom of the main panel, you don't get a header bar. That's either with the 'Experimental: Disable Header' off or on.

I'm not able to replicate this on multiple systems. I'm guessing that it's a settings/configuration issue, potentially.

zkhcohen: also forgot to mention, when rolling back to versions 1.6.1/2, the problem vanishes--having the pointer within the spectrogram makes no difference at all to the player control time counter or progress bar;  clicking within the spectrogram to seek produces an instant reaction by the latter to the seek point.

So the problem I have seems directly related to the addition of the progressive time indicator in version 1.7x

I'm still not able to replicate it with your settings, even with the Classic Spectrum Analyzer embedded.

The only think I can think of is that it's some sort of threading issue caused my the Control.MouseMove Event...

sveakul

I'm still not able to replicate it with your settings, even with the Classic Spectrum Analyzer embedded.

The only think I can think of is that it's some sort of threading issue caused my the Control.MouseMove Event...

zkhcohen:  I do appreciate the tries.  I guess I have to put it down to a "Win 7 thing," 32-bits, or some mysterious settings issue.  Man I HATE mysteries, haha..  Anyway, I have rolled back to 1.6.1 (3/24/2019 build), which doesn't have the problem, and still has the right-click for Options which I prefer and without the seekbar that I don't use anyway.  But that pop-up progressive time indicator was indeed cool.  If another build comes out, be sure that I will be testing again  :)  Thanks again for all your work.

Bee-liever:  thanks for taking the time to test it yourself and share your results, and for the new link to your Bleached Bone skin!  Maybe the issue you see with the header could be related to mine in some way (my settings as opposed to layout?) seeing as zkhcohen couldn't replicate it either.

Mr. Trev:  thanks for your own testing too and getting back to me, much appreciated!

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
@zkhcohen:

I'm not able to replicate this on multiple systems. I'm guessing that it's a settings/configuration issue, potentially.

That's unfortunate  :(

Anyway, I have rolled back to 1.6.1 (3/24/2019 build), which doesn't have the problem, and still has the right-click for Options which I prefer and without the seekbar that I don't use anyway.  But that pop-up progressive time indicator was indeed cool.  If another build comes out, be sure that I will be testing again  :)  Thanks again for all your work.

I too have reverted to the 1.6.1 build for the right-click Options access when the panel is not in the bottom of the main panel (for my settings  :)  ).  Only get right-click for pause/play in 1.7.2 build.

Like sveakul, I thank your for all your work on this and wait patiently to see what happens in the future.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together