Author Topic: (Version 1.8) Spectrogram Panel Plugin  (Read 101940 times)

zkhcohen

Hey. Steven fixed the bug in the latest release (3.3.7001) so I created a branch which is a little more efficient/reliable than the main release of 1.5.8:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gw982nvs9l49csc/MusicBee_Spectrogram_1.5_-_For_3.3.7001_and_Above.zip/file

sveakul

Is this branch starting from scratch as far as testing?  Sort of getting "plugin fatigue" around here, so would appreciate a recommendation as to if development on the original plugin is being stopped, and continued at this new 7001+ link?  What exactly is not compatible between the branches?  As I am on MB 3.3.7001 now and update regularly, should I forget about ever checking the first project again and stick with this "new" one from now on?  To avoid confusing first-time users, I would just remove all links to the first project and add a line like "this plugin requires MB 3.3.7001 and above" to the first post.  People should be using the latest MB anyway if they expect best results.

zkhcohen

Is this branch starting from scratch as far as testing?  Sort of getting "plugin fatigue" around here, so would appreciate a recommendation as to if development on the original plugin is being stopped, and continued at this new 7001+ link?  What exactly is not compatible between the branches?  As I am on MB 3.3.7001 now and update regularly, should I forget about ever checking the first project again and stick with this "new" one from now on?  To avoid confusing first-time users, I would just remove all links to the first project and add a line like "this plugin requires MB 3.3.7001 and above" to the first post.  People should be using the latest MB anyway if they expect best results.

I won't update the old branch anymore. I've included the new one on the first page for people who are already on 3.3.7001, but the old one is still the primary release because most people aren't.

Thanks for all the testing! I don't have any plans to update anything for quite some time.

sveakul

Thanks for the reply.  Can you explain what the differences are exactly between the 7001+ and the old 5.8 version, and why the 7001+ is not recommended for lower versions of MusicBee?  Also, I assume all the changes/fixes you have already spent so much time on are included by default in the 7001+ version?

I appreciate your attention/patience.  Just trying to get the full picture before leaving 5.8 for good for 7001+.

zkhcohen

Thanks for the reply.  Can you explain what the differences are exactly between the 7001+ and the old 5.8 version, and why the 7001+ is not recommended for lower versions of MusicBee?  Also, I assume all the changes/fixes you have already spent so much time on are included by default in the 7001+ version?

I appreciate your attention/patience.  Just trying to get the full picture before leaving 5.8 for good for 7001+.

I basically un-did all of the additional checks which ensured that Ffmpeg wouldn't generate an image for streams. Now it uses the duration to determine whether an image can be generated or not.

The problem with the last version is that in rare cases the workaround causes MusicBee to abort generating an image for a particular file. You would then have to restart MusicBee or generate an image for another previously un-generated file in order for the plugin to generate an image for that problematic file.

Your total performance gains would be negligible, but the version created for 7001+ does eliminate the bug.

sveakul

sveakul

"Dear Readers", who may have been following the plugin's testing, I have been using the latest "7001+" version and can confirm it functions as-advertised and problem-free;  now in use with MusicBee 3.3.7003.  Thanks zkhcohen for all your work on this.

P.S.  zkhcohen, I would encourage you to take a look at the source files of the "Winamp Classic Spectrum Analyzer" (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=23345.msg154061#msg154061);  what we need is the ability to invoke and use the "options" GUI without crashing MB (see thread).  Maybe you can do an integerated options job on it like you've done for Spectrogram!  Would be much appreciated.

zkhcohen

"Dear Readers", who may have been following the plugin's testing, I have been using the latest "7001+" version and can confirm it functions as-advertised and problem-free;  now in use with MusicBee 3.3.7003.  Thanks zkhcohen for all your work on this.

P.S.  zkhcohen, I would encourage you to take a look at the source files of the "Winamp Classic Spectrum Analyzer" (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=23345.msg154061#msg154061);  what we need is the ability to invoke and use the "options" GUI without crashing MB (see thread).  Maybe you can do an integerated options job on it like you've done for Spectrogram!  Would be much appreciated.

Hmm... Looks interesting. I'll see what I can do at some point. Very busy IRL at the moment.

D4RK.50LD13R

Hi,
excellent works, but I can not change the color, continues great job
Thank you.

sveakul

In order to change the color in the preferences GUI, you have to set the "Saturation" value to something other than "0".  I have mine set to 1, and Gain to 2.

zkhcohen

In order to change the color in the preferences GUI, you have to set the "Saturation" value to something other than "0".  I have mine set to 1, and Gain to 2.

For the record, you warned me that this would happen... lol.

Updated warning on first page.

Thanks.

D4RK.50LD13R

hi, sveakul, zkhcohen
sorry not seen in the first page, thank you works great and in color, good job.
the top.
and thank you again, great job ...

Mr. Trev

Nice to see how this has developed. I always wanted an onboard spectrograph - as opposed to send things to Spek.

I do have a couple questions/comments.

First, for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to change the size of the spectrogram window. I'm not sure if its because I'm using Album Cover view (although the other views didn't work either), but as it sits right now, the window is eating up too much vertical real estate for my liking.

Second, my legend only shows up to ~13000Hz (regardless of file format). I see in other pics it does go much higher

Finally, any of the colour themes from Magma on down won't show an image - not a big deal, but I thought I'd point it out

For the record, I'm using your latest release (for .7003+), MB version 3.3.7003, and the abominable Win 10 (1809)

Cheers

sveakul

First, for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to change the size of the spectrogram window. I'm not sure if its because I'm using Album Cover view (although the other views didn't work either), but as it sits right now, the window is eating up too much vertical real estate for my liking.

Second, my legend only shows up to ~13000Hz (regardless of file format). I see in other pics it does go much higher

Have you tried the bottom Main Panel location?  You should be able to drag the spectrogram's title bar to whatever height you want.

As far as the spectrogram displayed frequency level, that depends on the file's encoding.  If a lowpass filter was set to say 15kHz, you would see a "chopped off" area higher than that.  I've found that's a lot more common than I thought!

On the color theme, mine shows up all the way down to Green, but not lower.  zkhcohen may be able to help.  Like you said, no big deal to me either.

Mr. Trev

Have you tried the bottom Main Panel location?  You should be able to drag the spectrogram's title bar to whatever height you want.

As far as the spectrogram displayed frequency level, that depends on the file's encoding.  If a lowpass filter was set to say 15kHz, you would see a "chopped off" area higher than that.  I've found that's a lot more common than I thought!

On the color theme, mine shows up all the way down to Green, but not lower.  zkhcohen may be able to help.  Like you said, no big deal to me either.

I do have the window set for the bottom of the main panel. The only difference is I have my player controls on the top panel (I did try moving it to the main panel and that was no help - that was an older version of the plug-in though)

I do get the file encoding thing, but what I'm actually referring to the the numbers shown on the legend. In the picture D4RK.50LD13R posted above, you can see the numbers on the left go to ~17000Hz. Even if I'm playing a Flac file, the numbers on my legend top out at ~13KHz and the top of the spectrograph is obviously cut-off. (I'll post a screenshot later)